EIGHT.2

secrets don't make friends

The snow was just falling, and the ground at Hogsmeade had a white blanket covering it. It was actually quite beautiful outside, and Blaise and Ophelia were having a nice time just the two of them, as they walked out of Honeydukes. The two of them had a habit of going to Hogsmeade together often, but this time, he took her today in the hopes of cheering her up. "You really didn't have to buy me this, Blaise." She smiled at him, holding up the chocolate frog. "I have money."

"I don't doubt you do, but think of it as an apology of sorts, I suppose." He shrugged, as they had walked past The Three Broomsticks, beginning to head back to the path that led to the castle.

"You don't need to apologize anymore, Blaise. I already know I was in the wrong." Ophelia told him, quickly noticing a figure leaving through the side door of the Three Broomsticks. She squinted her eyes, trying to make out the figure, and then Blaise spoke up.

"Wonder what Draco's doing here alone." He questioned, leading them to him. "Mate!" He called out. Draco turned quickly, startled at first, and then recomposing himself. He couldn't let them know what he's done. "What're you doing out here?" Blaise asked, curiously.

"What? A guy can't treat himself to some butterbeer by themself?" Draco asked, trying to make it less obvious that he had been up to no good.

"Bit odd for you, lad." Blaise rose a brow.

"You two on a date?" Draco knew very well that they were in fact, not on a date. He knew the two of them often came to Hogsmeade to hangout, but he had to divert the conversation somehow, and his specialty was making people uncomfortable or embarrassed.

"Yes, Draco, Blaise and I are on a date." Ophelia rolled her eyes with a scoff.

"Oh, apologies, guess I was misconstrued on what we were doing." Blaise mocked, as she began to laugh a little.

"Disgusting." Draco snickered.

"Look, I'm going to head back up." Blaise announced. "You coming?" He turned to Ophelia in question. She thought for a moment, glancing around, wondering if she should let Draco be. But, she wasn't sure what to do.

"Actually, would you care for a walk?" Draco chimed in, as she turned to him, curiously, wondering what he wanted and why.

"Y–yes. Yeah. That'd be fine."

"Alright." Draco told her as Blaise eyed the two, equally confused.

"Alright. Well, see you two at supper." He waved them off, and proceeded on his walk to the castle. Ophelia awkwardly stood across from Draco, before he extended his arm and she hesitantly looped her arm through it. They began to walk.

"So what were you really doing, Draco?" She pried with a smile. He couldn't help but smile back, as he always knew she wouldn't let things go.

"You caught me. This is where McGonagall and I meet up for our secret rendezvous." He joked and she made an ick face.

"I mean, she's a lovely woman. Bit older, but I guess I could support it." She joked back.

"Glad to have your approval." He smirked down at her as they approached the lake side. "Say, Ophelia, I would again like to apologize for how I've treated you in the past few months."

"There's no need, Draco." She shook her head and he halted her from walking, turning her to him. "I think we're a bit past that by now."

"No, you have to understand, I've had a lot going on, and my mind isn't exactly in the right place right now. But that's no excuse. You shouldn't have been the one I took all my anger out on. You didn't deserve it." He looked down, shamefully.

"It's fine, Draco. Truly. I'm alright. And I think we both can agree that our breakup wasn't exactly the cleanest. I just want you to know I'm always going to be a friend you can talk to. No matter the circumstances." She smiled, but his frown remained the same. There was a pause in the conversation, before his quiet voice spoke up.

"Maybe I don't just want you as a friend." He whispered. She stumbled back from his words a little, pulling her arm away from his.

"Draco, I broke up with you, and you immediately jumped into another relationship with the one girl you knew would hurt me the most."

"You dated a Weasley." He snapped at her.

"And you dated a Greengrass. At least who I dated, nearly a month after you got with Astoria might I add, wasn't a dick to you."

"He punched me in the face." Draco became hostile and defensive.

"Because you called me a slut." She crossed her arms, knowingly. He nodded, looking down again. "I was really hurt, Draco. And I'm not entirely sure I can go through that again." She shook her head. He nodded, looking up to her once more. The silence again. It was always somewhat deafening. But, it was common. "I'll see you at dinner, Draco." She began to turn, when a sudden harsh grasp on her wrist spun her around to face him and gentle lips were pressed against her own. She stood for a moment, almost too stunned to do anything, but then she felt herself melt into him like lava against the cold snow. Lifting her hand behind his head, as he did the same, the two remained embracing each other for what felt like an eternity. Both their hearts in a rapid sync as they completely disregarded everything else they had been through. In this moment, it was only them. Nothing else existed. Slowly pulling away, she looked up at him, slightly shaking her head. "I thought you couldn't be with someone in this way right now?" She asked.

"I did say that, didn't I?" He smirked, still gripping onto her arms.

"You're so confusing." She shook her head once again, looking down at her shoes. His finger reached under her chin as he peered her gaze back up to his. Her emotions were becoming more mixed up and confused as her smile faded and her eyebrows furrowed into a saddened expression.

"You afraid of McLaggen finding out?" He asked, a little curious if she was actually interested in Cormac or not.

"Are you only kissing me because you think I'm interested in Cormac?" She asked.

"Not the only reason, no." He shook his head, still smirking. "But one of many."

"I'm not playing this cat and mouse game with you, Draco." She whispered to him.

"That's fine." He responded.

"I don't want to jump back into something that ended horribly in the first place." She continued.

"Understood."

"When you want to finally tell me what's going on with you, then maybe we can work something out." Her tone grew serious as his smirk faded and he released her from his grasp. "I'll see you at supper." And with that, she turned from him, and walked herself back up the hill to the castle.