FORTY EIGHT

ensuring the safety of others

The sun had just come up when Ophelia woke that long morning. Draco had still been sound asleep in his bed as she gathered her outfit for the day, and got herself dressed. There was nothing more serene than waking up in the Malfoy Manor. It had only been a couple of days since the fall of Voldemort, and she was still trying to cope with everything. And the best way to do that, was a cup of tea and a good book to read. She hurried down the staircase, crossing through the large foyer and into the kitchen. Turning the stove on and placing the tea pot on top, she sat on the counter, swinging her feet back and forth while picking up her book she had begun last night after Draco had fallen asleep.

"G'mornin' miss Pierce." A voice squeaked from below and she looked to the small house elf, smiling up at her.

"Good morning, Wheezey." She greeted in response. "Sleep well?"

"Fine, yes." Wheezey stammered out, before shuffling over to the cabinet.

"Lucius awake?" She asked.

"Master is, yes." Wheezey scowled unintentionally. Ophelia hopped down from the counter as the tea pot began to screech from the boiling water, and she poured a cup for him.

"Take this to him. He should like it." Ophelia winked at the little elf, who smiled back. As she reached for another cup in the cabinet, a loud bang on the front door caused her to jump in her spot. Wheezey set down the tray for Lucius and headed to the front doors, which had just bursted open with several aurors and PA members emerging through.

"Ophelia Pierce?" The one in the front asked her as they approached with haste.

"Yeah?" She questioned.

"Bind her." The man spoke to one of the other officers and they charged toward her, casting a spell around her wrists. Draco, who had awoken from the chaos below, was now storming down the stairs and into view.

"What's the meaning of this?" He shouted at them, before locking eyes with a confused Ophelia. That's when Hermione appeared from the porch, stepping inside. "Don't you fucking touch her like that!" He shouted at the man gripping onto Ophelia's wrist rather tightly.

"We have right to detain miss Pierce for the time being to assess and assure she will not be a public safety issue." Hermione spoke loud enough for the two of them to hear. Wheezey looked panicked, hurrying up the stairs in fear.

"Public safety issue?" Draco sneered, with full rage. "Bloody hell, Granger, hasn't she been through enough?" He shouted at her.

"This isn't up for debate, Malfoy. She's a potential threat to society." Hermione glared at him, refusing to look at Ophelia, who wasn't even putting up a fight. She could easily take them all out right then and there, but that would only further prove their point.

"This is fucking rich. Real nice, Granger." Draco shouted at her, trying to get to Ophelia. "Let me through!" He demanded of the men, who blocked him off from her. "I'll fucking kill you if you hurt her!" He shouted at all of them, feeling absolutely helpless.

"She's not permitted to speak with anyone as of right now, Malfoy. You'll have to wait for court." Hermione insisted and he pulled his wand from his pocket, but before he could try anything, one of the aurors grabbed his hand, knocking the wand to the floor.

"Ophelia," he shouted at her and she attempted to look at him as she was being pulled away. "Use your powers!" He instructed but she shook her head, letting them take her away.