Chapter 7: Do You Trust Me?

For the next few weeks, I had been avoiding talking to Dad about moving in with Benji. I was terrified of what he would say or think and I didn't want to have to explain to him again that Benji and I weren't sleeping together.

I woke up on Saturday morning, feeling refreshed and happy. Graduation was in one week and I was over the moon excited to get the hell out of high school. I could see my skin glowing from the relaxation I was constantly feeling; I was absolutely radiant. I threw on a pair of jean shorts and a loose white t-shirt and headed out.

I tied my white Converse shoes on my front doorstep before jumping onto my skateboard, feeling better than I have in a while. Suddenly, I felt free from all of the pain high school has caused me. I felt like I could finally breathe, even though high school wasn't over quite yet. 

I met my friends in the skatepark and smiled when I made eye contact with Hellen. "Hey, Hel." I greeted her.

"Baby," she shouted from a distance. She ran up to me, throwing one of her arms over my shoulder. "How is my favourite college student?"

"Better than ever. Final exams are almost over, thank God." I explained. "I'm so thankful I will never have to see another cell diagram ever again."

She laughed. "I feel you." 

We did a few rounds on the ramp and I felt more alive than ever, even whipping out my best tricks. I heard people around me whoop and cheer for me, which made me feel even better. After I was done, I sat down at my usual spot with Hellen, who was also out of breath from the ramps. "I'm so fucking tired." She said, leaning back on the bench. "I'm really gonna miss this." She admitted a few minutes later."

"Miss what?" I asked, turning my body towards her.

"You know," she started, taking a breath. "This." She looked straight at the park. "Once school starts, I won't see you anymore. No more Saturday morning meets at the park, or skating around town after school."  

"That's ridiculous," I told her. "I'll always see you. It's not like I'm moving across the country. Everything will be the same. Sure, maybe we won't see each other as much as we do now but we'll make time for this stuff. I could never stop coming to the park."

She nodded, clearly unconvinced by my words. "You won't even be living at the same house, B. You're gonna be living with Benji--which I still think is fucking weird." She laughed slightly.

I told Hellen about moving in with Benji as soon as he asked me. Of course, there was the usual speculation that we were dating, and it took a lot of convincing to tell her that we weren't. I honestly didn't expect her to believe me, but it was fine. I know the truth and that is good. enough for me.

"Anna," Hellen called, as Anna walked by us.

"What's up?" She nodded as she approached us.

"Tell me what you think of this: can a guy and a girl be best friends without any sexual tension going on?" She asked, before turning to me and smiling evilly.

She took a minute to think. "I think so, yeah."

"Okay, okay." She placed her hand on her chin. "What if they move in together? Alone. What do you think of that?"

"I mean, they're probably hooking up if they move in together. Right?" She answered, which was not what I was hoping she'd say.

"Thank you, Anna." Hellen smiled, satisfied with Anna's response. "Get a load of that."

"Anna doesn't know the context here. We aren't hooking up and we never will." I explained for the millionth time.

"Just promise me nothing will change once you move in with Benji. You know how he is."