Chapter 11: Pizza, Anyone?

I lay in bed, turning and tossing as I attempt to nap, but all I can think about is Benji's face so close to mine. I take deep breaths over and over again to slow down my breathing, which somehow only makes it worse.

I definitely fall asleep eventually and soon wake up to a knock on my bedroom door and my eyes flash open. I turn over to my clock and realize I'm going to be late for work. "Shit," I mutter as I pull myself out of bed.

I swing open my door and see Benji standing right in front of it, smiling. "Late, are we?" He mocks.

"Why didn't you wake me sooner?" I complain, forgetting about our moment from earlier.

He shrugs. "I thought you could use some rest, B," he says.

"I have to go," I tell him as I shove my boots onto my feet. "Sam is going to kill me," I refer to my manager, who hates my guts. I run back into the kitchen, realizing I need some water. "I don't even know how to get to work from here."

I run back to the door and open it. I close it as I notice Benji is just standing there, smiling at me. "What?" I ask in a rush.

"You live with me now, B," he reminds me. "You aren't taking the subway."

I don't know what to say. "What do you mean?" I finally find some words.

He throws his head down and chuckles. "I'll have my driver take you," he informs me. "He's downstairs. I called him an hour ago."

I sigh with relief. "Really?" I ask.

"Of course," he replies, walking closer to me. He stares at me as he puts on his shoes. "I have an errand to run anyway."

We both head downstairs and check into the limo, which makes me feel boujee. "Joey's please, Andrew," Benji instructs his driver. Andrew nods in the rearview mirror and steps on the gas.

At five o'clock, we arrive at Joey's. I tie my hair into a ponytail as Benji watches me. "I'll see you soon," I tell him.

Benji smiles and nods. "Sooner than you think," he says mysteriously.

I head inside, worrying that my manager notices I'm a tad late. I head into the back and clock in, quickly throwing my apron over my head and pushing open the door into the restaurant. I instantly start picking up the table's orders, avoiding eye contact with Sam.

"You're late," Sam scolds me. Shit.

"Sorry, Sam," I apologize, still delivering food to table five. "Your cheese pizza, ma'am," I say. "Let me know if you need anything."

"Brandy," Sam says, telling me to come over to him with his finger.

I hesitantly walk over to him, feeling nervous he'll yell at me. "Sam?" I say.

"I need you to work on the other side of the restaurant today." He notifies me.

"The front?" I confirm. I've never bussed tables at the front of the restaurant before. It's where Sam puts all of his least favourite employees. Oh, nice. That's me now.

He nods his head and walks away.

I sigh and try to paste on a smile. "Let's do this," I mutter underneath my breath.

I am caught off guard when I see my friends come in: Hellen, Aaron, Anna and Daniel. "Hey, Baby," Hellen shouts and the rest of them wave at me.

I smile at them and mouth the words 'I'll be right back.' I walk over to Sam and ask to take my break even though I've only been working for an hour. It takes some convincing and lecturing before he finally agrees to send me on my way.