Chapter 29: Cheater

Brandy

"Tell me about her," I ask Benji.

We are in his bed together, and for some reason, when we do this, I feel like asking him questions. We aren't even having sex but I guess it's something like pillow talk.

"About who?" He chuckles as he plays with my hair.

"You know who." I playfully roll my eyes. "The girl who travelled across the world to see you. Ophelia."

He sighs. "Do we have to talk about her? I'm pretty sure she went back to Greece, B."

"You never really explained what happened. I want to know. I need to kmow."

"It wasn't even a week ago," he reminds me. "And I told you, I'll talk to you about her if and when I'm ready to."

I sigh. "I know, I know. I just need to know now." I bat my eyes. "It's driving me mad, Benji. I mean, how serious were you two? Did... did you love her?" I have to ask. "Did you tell her that you love her?"

I know he promised that I was the only girl he's ever loved, but I wonder if he remembers he told me that. What if he was lying? What if he tells all the girls that he loves them? I just... I want to be special.

He shakes his head. "I've told you. I haven't told any other girl that I love them. I wasn't lying, you know?"

I nod, trying to convince myself that what he's saying is true. "You can't expect me to be understanding, Benji. I mean seriously, she flew from Athens to New York to see you. That's love."

He lays on his back and stares at the ceiling. "What she chooses to do is out of my control," he says. "I didn't ask her to fly here." He sighs. "Well, not recently."

"Tell me something. Tell me anything." I beg. "She's... so pretty." I sigh. "I know you didn't tell her that you did, but did you love her?" I ask again. I know I'm being annoying, but I can't help it.

"No," he states and I feel relief. "Not really," he changes his answers.

"Not really?" I repeat. "It's a yes or no question, Benji."

"No," he says again. "And I have to be honest, talking about her is getting a little annoying. I don't ask you about you exes."

I laugh. "That's because I don't have any," I remind him. "But you? You have like a million of them."

"A million?" He scoffs. "I think that's an exaggeration."

"I don't," I mumble.

He chuckles. "You jealous, B?" He smirks.

I scoff, as if what he said is wrong—which it isn't. He's totally right. "No..." I mumble again. "I'm just curious. I'm curious about your past. You can tell me anything, you know?"

He nods. "Yeah, I know. I'm just choosing not to tell you about this," he tells me.

"But why?" I sit up.

"Because." He shrugs.

"Because..."

"Because this is different. And like I told you, if  and when I'm ready to talk about her, I will. I promise. Okay?" He asks.

I let out a whole lot of air—enough that my hair blows. "Okay..." I agree.

We have our midterm today, which is something I've been anticipating for weeks now. It's still only eight o'clock now and the exam is at noon. We have time, which is why I'm not rushing.