Chapter 22: Natalie

Benji

"Mom!" I shout, surprised by her appearance. I look at Natalie who is smiling joyfully at me. "What-. What are you both doing here?"

I know I look suspicious. My voice is fast paced and my hair is a total mess. This isn't the first time my mother has interrupted me with a girl.

"We're here to surprise you," Natalie answers. "Is that okay?"

I catch my breath. "I guess so."

"Is Brandy home?" Mom asks me as she places her purse on the couch.

"Brandy lives with you?" Natalie asks with shock.

I slowly nod. "Mom, you didn't mention that to her?" I sigh.

"I didn't think it mattered. You and Brandy are so platonic it's like living with another boy." She remarks. "Oh, God, she's not here is she?" She covers her mouth.

What should I say?

"Uh..." I think. "I think she's in her room."

"You think? Don't you know if she's here?" Mom interrogates me.

"She... is?" I question my response. "She's sleeping. Well, napping."

"Go wake her up. Natalie and I brought some delicious desserts. She should join us." Mom insists.

"She doesn't have to," Natalie jumps in. "It could just be the three of us." 

Brandy's POV:

I place my ear at the door, eavesdropping on their conversation. I hope they didn't see me half naked trying to quickly change.

I can already tell Natalie doesn't like me. Or at least she doesn't like me living with Benji. Why else would she say that?

I realize I should just go out there just to wreck Natalie's plans. If she doesn't want me there, I should be there. I don't exactly like her either if she's going after Benji.

I swing open the door, surprisingly all of them. "Hi, Mrs. Cruz," I greet. "Hi again, Natalie," I say less enthusiastically.

Natalie attempts a smile but I see right thought it. "Hi." She says quietly.

"Come join us for pastries, darling," Emily offers. "Our new maid Martha whipped these up this morning so they are fresh."

"I'd love to," I smile just to annoy Natalie. Even though I know Natalie thinks she's the one dating Benji, I know the truth. I have to make her feel intimidated by me. If I can do that...

I sit at the table with them and I see Natalie take in a deep breath.

Benji smiles at me and I almost grab his hand, forgetting that I can't. I really hate this lie we're going along with. I hate that I can't kiss Benji right in front of them, especially Natalie.

"Tell me, how is school for you three? Brandy, Natalie goes to Yale. Isn't that exiting!" Emily turns to me.

I force a smile. "That's awesome. Yale is a great school."

"It really is. The institution is just amazing." Natalie begins. "Did you ever apply to Yale?" She asks me.

"No," I answer. "NYU was and is my dream school."

She chuckles. "You weren't dreaming very big, were you?" She politely laughs to make her comment seem like it wasn't supposed to offend me.

Benji looks incredibly awkward, almost expecting me to clap back at her. "It's an amazing school, too, you know?" My fake smile fades. "Just because it isn't an Ivy League doesn't make it anything less. If anything, it's filled with less pretentious people," I remark.