Chapter 12: Honey

Benji insists we take his limo to the party even though it is a perfectly acceptable walking distance. I feel surprisingly comfortable and pretty in my dress given that I don't like wearing them. Benji also insists that I wear a pair of flats or heels but I remind him that I don't own any. He hates himself for not remembering to buy me a pair himself, and I tell him that sneakers will just have to suffice.

We finally pull up right in front of the house and I see drunk college students with plastic red cups in their hands all around me. I feel overdressed when I notice everyone is dressed all too casually. Benji notices my awkwardness and comforts me.

"You look stunning, B," he compliments, making me feel better.

I smile sweetly. "I feel overdressed," I admit.

"Exactly," he says. "You'll stick out like a sore thumb. You're making a good first impression."

"I don't know if I want to stick out like a sore thumb," I joke.

He chuckles. "You'll give people something to remember."

We thank Andrew as we head out of the car and I feel people staring at us. Benji walks next to me and offers his hand, making me feel confused and excited at the same time. I hesitantly take it and walk with him past loads of partiers. Benji says hi to about ten people on his way in and I feel still don't know how he has all of these connections.

"Can I get you a drink?" He asks over the loud music and talking.

I nod, not in the mood to shout back. He leaves me lonely for a few minutes as I surf the area, trying to get a sense of this place. I've never been to a frat house before. I look to find Benji after getting tired of waiting and see him talking to Shawn and a few other frat boys in the kitchen. I feel anxious that Benji has already forgotten about me.

I grab myself a beer and continue wandering the party. I turn a corner and bump into a girl, splashing my drink all over her. She stares me down, gasping at her soaked dress. I should not be allowed out of my house.

"Seriously?" She snaps.

"I'm so sorry," I apologize. "Let me get you a napkin," I insist, running to the kitchen to search for one. I come back and her friends are helping her wipe the beer off of her. "Here," I say, passing her the stash of napkins.

She grabs them from me and I stand there awkwardly as she cleans herself. "Who the hell are you, anyway?" She asks me, clearly still upset with me.

"Uh," I mutter. "Brandy," I say quickly. "Brandy Bright."

"Freshmen, I assume."

"Nice shoes," another blonde girl says to me, causing the other three to laugh.

I look down at my Converse and feel insecure about myself. "Yeah, I'm a freshman," I walk it off. "Again, I'm sorry about your dress."

She scans me up and down. "Who invited you, freshman?" Damn, this girl is really pissed about the fact that a stranger accidentally bumped into her. It was just a coincidence that I was holding my drink unsteadily. I wasn't expecting to run into anyone either.

"My friend," I say, trying to sound polite.

"Well, your friend must be an idiot," she sasses me. She and her friends walk away, each of them individually staring at me before exiting. This is exactly the reason I didn't want to come here tonight. Parties are really just not my thing.

"Bitch," I utter underneath my breath.

I run into the bathroom and lock the door. I splash my face with water and tie my hair up into a ponytail, even though it doesn't exactly look great with this dress. I gather my thoughts and take three deep breaths, trying to cool myself down from that ugly encounter.