Chapter 16: Finally

I call back Hellen to find out what she needs me at the park for, considering I have work soon. She doesn't pick up so I quickly head to the park anyway because Hellen sounded serious on the phone.

I hear a siren going off from the direction of the skate park and my eyes widen when I see Hellen crying. I hop off my board and start running toward her and instantly go in for a hug.

"Hellen?" I worry. "Hellen, what happened?"

Hellen is sitting on the edge of the ambulance, her leg completely covered in scrapes and blood. I don't think I have ever seen Hellen cry -- she's a pretty tough girl. She doesn't like to let people see her vulnerable.

But after seeing her leg, I can't say I blame her for the waterworks. It looks so painful. At least she has some bandages on and is still getting help from the EMT, but still, it looks bad. 

"Fuck, I'm an idiot," she says as she wipes off her tears. She flicks back her short brown hair and covers her face with her hands.

I put my arm over her shoulders and try to comfort her. "Hellen, what happened?"

"I thought I could do it," she says lowly. "The stupid flip."

"Oh," is all that comes out of my mouth. I remember Hellen always talking about a super hard trick on the skateboard, a trick that only professionals can do. I remember trying to warn her about it, but Hellen has got grit. If she wants to do something, absolutely nothing will stop her.

"Are you okay?" I'm so stupid. Of course, she's not. 

She shrugs. "I'm okay for a loser."

"You're not a loser," I convince her. "Hel, that trick is really hard. It took all the greats years to perfect it, so don't be so hard on yourself. I'm just glad you're going to be okay." I grab her hand.

She chuckles. "I'm sorry for freaking you out on the phone, Baby. Well, I was just freaking out myself."

"Stop," I say. "Just stop. I love you, okay?"

She smiles and wraps her arms around me, pulling me in for a hug. "You have work today, don't you?" She remembers and playfully rolls her eyes. 

I nod. "Unfortunately, yes."

"Shit," she complains. "Can we hang out after your shift?"

"I... I can't." I bite at my lip. "I kind of have to talk to Benji."

She raises an eyebrow. "Oh?"

I try to hide my smile. "Yeah," I mutter, feeling horrible that I won't be able to see her tonight. 

"About what?" She smirks. "Moving out already?" 

"Uhh," I chuckle nervously. "Actually..." I guess I have to tell her now. "Benji and I are--" I pause. What are Benji and I? "We kissed," is all I say for now.

"Kissed?!" She shouts and I feel eyes turn to us. I tell her to be quiet but she just starts laughing. "Is that like, a code?"

"A code?"

"C'mon," she laughs. "There's no way you guys didn't do more than that. It's Benji."

"Well, I guess we made out more than we kissed?" Why do I sound so confused? Shouldn't I know very well the exact details? After all, it was my lips on Benji's, not hers.

"You're telling me you guys didn't do anything more than make out?"

I shake my head, suddenly feeling lame and slightly insecure for not going the full way. "No," I mutter. "That's all."