Chapter 34: On The Outside, Looking In

Benji

I rush to my parent's house to talk to them about Natalie. Last time Dad told me that if I were to break up with her, Devon Turner—Natalie's father—would supposedly 'ruin' this family.

The elevator dings and the first thing I see is a new maid dusting the vases. She welcomes me and takes my coat and I ask her where my parents are. She tells me that they're upstairs and I make my way up.

Their door is wide open and Mom is putting a pearl necklace around her neck and Dad is fixing his tie.

"You guys going somewhere?" I ask, stepping into their room.

"Benji!" Mom says happily. "What are you doing here, honey?"

"I need to talk to you—both of you," I say, looking back and forth between the two of them.

"Can't it wait?" Dad says. "We're on our way to my colleague's retirement party. You remember Simon, don't you, Benji?"

I shrug. "No," I say, not caring. "This can't wait, Dad. I need to talk to you right now."

He sighs and looks at me through the mirror. After a second he spins around so that we're facing each other. "What is this about? Are you in trouble? Ah, let me guess. You were busted for drinking at school. No! You need money."

I roll my eyes. "Why do you always assume the worst with me?"

"Because with you... there's nothing else to assume," he says casually like it wasn't supposed to offend me. Like... it's just the truth.

"Are you okay, darling?" Mom asks.

"I'm breaking up with Natalie," I say sternly. If I ask for permission, they'll say no. I need for them to think that this is my own decision—because it is—not something they get a say in.

They both stop what they're doing and look at me like I had just told them someone is dying. "You can't do that," Mom says quietly. "Steven, tell him he can't do that."

Dad laughs it off, but I can see his eye twitch. "Son, you can't break up with her. Do you remember what I told you about Devon Turner? He will end this family."

"Maybe I don't care." I shrug, leaning against the bookshelf. "This has never really been a family anyways."

He scoffs. "Benji, I don't think you understand the situation."

"No, Dad. I understand perfectly fine. You fucked up with Devon, and now you're making this whole family pay—including me. What are you forcing Mom to do, huh? Is she Devon's new cleaning lady?"

"Benji!" Mom shouts at me. "Listen to your father. He only wants what's best for this family—especially you. Do you think this has been easy for us? We don't want you near the daughter of that crook, okay? We had no other choice. There is no other choice!"

"Yes, there is!" I fight back. "Whatever you owe him, pay up. Whatever you did, fix it. Don't involve me in your screwed-up business. You actually threatened to throw me out on the street, Dad! Because of something that you did!" I shout.

He sighs, clearly stressed out by this conversation. Mom sits down on the bed, her hands over her face.

"Do you want to know how much we owe the Turners?" Dad asks. "Do you!" He shouts. "Six... million dollars." He reveals.

I gasp and sit down beside Mom. "How the fuck do you owe someone that much, Dad?" I sigh. "What the hell did you do?"

"It's business," he answers vaguely. "One day you'll understand. Either way, if we don't cooperate with whatever this loser says, he'll throw my ass in jail. And this whole family will lose everything—from your mother's jewelry to your little apartment in Brooklyn and not to mention, this damn penthouse! We. Will. Lose. Everything."