Chapter Eighteen: "Those Moments"

Brielle
_____

Those moments when you feel like you can't breathe, or when you realize that everything just changed, but it was all too soon... those moments are the reasons why we keep going.

There was never a moment in my life where the hard minute hadn't pulled me down, or tired me out. Never was there a moment that I was about to let go, either.

Many times I wanted to give up, yes. But wanting to give up and simply giving up are two very different things.

If I could ever remember a time when it was assumed I'd given up, it was when I had given my life to Liam. I'd let him shove me down, take control of my life whether that's what I'd wanted or not. I had decided that I would give myself up to him because I wanted to protect my family. I wanted to protect those I loved.

It was, to me, no form of surrender in what I wanted. It was only my strength to pull myself away from them to keep them alive.

That was one of those moments. The moment I couldn't breathe or when everything changed. That was one of those moments.

And yet, it had seemed this was another one of those moments.

Days have gone by that I think to myself, is this really it? Is this how I will live my life? Is this all there is?

In that moment, it hadn't been a day, or a month or year. It was that moment. The one moment. In that very moment, I thought... Is this how it ends?

I didn't know. Nor did I understand how I didn't know.

All I could do was hold onto that moment and pray that something good would come out of it.

All I could do was hope that it wasn't how it ended.