Chapter Twenty-Seven: "Take Care"

Brielle
_____

Slowly, the trees began to move. It was bizarre considering they hadn't moved since I got there. At the same time, however, it was beautiful. I could finally match the movement to the sound. I could see that it was more real than it was when this started.

Mom and Dad watched me, smiling proudly. Were they waiting for something? Did they want me to talk? Did they want me to hug them again? Couldn't they do it themselves if they wanted it that badly?

A loud crackling echoed through the air, and then the ground beneath me began to shake. I stumbled, falling into them by accident. They caught me, but it didn't feel like it had before. It almost felt... empty.

I looked up at them, afraid to feel the tears. "What's happening?"

A wetness overtook Mom's eyes, and she extended her hand to my cheek ever so softly. It didn't feel any better, making that hole in my chest all the emptier. Was this the end?

"It's time, sweetheart." Her hand fell as she stepped back, glancing at Dad. I breathed out in desperation to feel his arms around me again the way I had before, just one time before I knew that it would be the last.

"We are so proud of you," he whispered to me, wiping my tears as he pulled away from me. Despite that, there came more, and heavier ones eventually ruled. I could've fallen apart all over again, but something was stopping me.

"It's time for you to go back to your friends, honey," Mom added. "It's time to go home."

"But this is home," I mumbled, almost broken. "Anywhere you guys are, that's home."

She smiled gently, sympathetically. She had always given me that smile whenever she knew that it was breaking her heart to hear or see me like I was. She would always give it to me so I'd know that she understood; that I wasn't alone in feeling just that empty.

"We love you, Brielle. And we always will, no matter what you do. Never forget that."

"Mom, please-"

"Let Niall take care of you," Dad said, laying his hand on my shoulder softly. "He loves you more than you know. And he worries that you'll run down the wrong path like Liam. You cannot let him walk away, okay? Let him take care of you."

"We love you."

More rumbling. More crackling. It was louder. It was heavier, worse than before. The ground shook again, and this time when I reached out to gain their support, I felt nothing. The tears came heavier, and I sobbed out for them.

"Mom, Dad-"

"Take care, sweetheart."

And then white was blinding me. I was leaving. I was falling away from them.

I was-