Chapter Forty-One: "What You Need"

So, for those of you who read the update previous to this one, you know that this chapter revealed things we had already known. I fixed it, and now it makes a little more sense. Please enjoy & again, so sorry!
____

Niall
____

I held Brielle's fingers in mine tightly as she shook her free hand nervously. Her eyes kept skirting up to mine, checking to make sure I was still there, still holding onto her. Her expression was beyond anxious, molding into fear. It wasn't hard to know how much she was dreading having to tell Claire and Harry that this nightmare wasn't over yet.

They were locked in their very own bubble, happy because their wedding plans were being made and their lives were moving along after the death of Liam Payne. How fitting, it seemed, that we had the kind of luck that would rip that happiness to shreds.

"I can't do this," Brielle whispered, turning away from the door and scooting closer to me.

"You can."

"No, I can't." Her eyes met mine, wide and frightened. How much I wanted to kiss her to make her feel better. How much I wanted to reassure her that everything would be fine. But I couldn't, and we both knew that.

"Don't worry about whether they'll be mad, baby," I mumbled, low enough that we still could not be heard. "We're trying to protect them, and that means at any cost."

"They're happy right now and I can't ruin that for them." Her chin quivered.

"There won't be any emotion if we don't tell them," I countered.

Her eyes flashed with devastation, caught between ruining happiness or sparing their feelings only to fail farther down the road. I exhaled and grabbed her shoulders gently, but I held firmly.

"If we don't tell them, they will never know whether they're doing something that can get them hurt or killed. They could be walking into a trap and they'd never know, and why? Because we didn't tell them. Brielle, we have to do this whether you're afraid or not. Do you want them to be safe?"

"Yes, of course, more than anything."

"Well then let's do this. I'm right here, baby. I'm not going anywhere."

A tear slipped down her cheek, but she didn't wipe it away. Instead, leaned up on her tiptoes, grabbed the back of my neck, and pulled me down to kiss me. Her lips tasted like salt, and they quivered as she fought a sob, but they were nevertheless soft and inviting.

When she pulled away, I squeezed her hand and stood stiffly as she turned around and knocked on the door.

The air was tense, filled with a dark anticipation. And then the door swung open and Claire looked out upon us with relief.

"Hey!" she cheered as she jumped out into the hallway and tackled Brielle in a bone-crushing hug.

Brielle's hand fell away from mine, though I didn't move an inch. I waited until they released each other to do or say anything. But it took longer than I'd expected. Claire didn't seem to want to let go, and I knew for a fact Brielle was not ready to. Being ready to let go was saying she was ready to ruin everything great about Claire's life right now. Knowing Brielle, that was the hardest thing of all.

"I missed you so much! I mean I know it was only three days but oh my God, you were gone too long!"

Brielle chuckled, wiping her tears away quickly before Claire could see. Her face was unscathed when Claire let go, and Brielle smiled at her the best she good without giving anything away.