Chapter Thirty-One: "Sometimes"

Brielle
_____

After being discharged, standing on my feet was like learning to walk all over again. My head was pounding, as if I'd sat up too fast, and my legs felt wobbly. Niall had one hand at my waist and another holding my own hand to keep me steady as I first walked around the room to get used to it.

My hair was straggly, though, and the fact that I wasn't able to shower these passed few days made me feel like I hadn't showered in months. Technically, I hadn't showered in a couple weeks since the accident anyway, which meant I would be showering for nearly an hour and a half when I got the chance. Niall, and it was beyond me, hadn't said a word about my hygiene.

"I'm so gross, Niall," I mumbled as we made our way around the room for the fifteenth time. Claire and Harry were outside in the car, ready to take us home.

"Baby, you are not." He almost rolled his eyes when I looked at him.

"I am. I haven't showered in weeks."

"Hey, part of that was not your fault. You were in a coma."

"Yeah, and for another week, I wasn't able to stand. I'm gross, exhausted, and overall just ready to leave this depressing place."

He chuckled, saying nothing else as we continued to help me get used to walking again. It wasn't until fifteen minutes later that I was actually ready, and after pulling my hair up to hide the grease and yuck, I grabbed Niall's hand and he led me out of the room slowly and carefully.

The elevator ride was pretty woozy, that much was for sure. I almost dropped to my knees from being dizzy and my head hurting. Thankfully Niall's grip kept me upright and steady.

"I'm so glad we get to go home," Niall said quietly as the elevator landed on the ground floor. He kissed my forehead.

"Me, too. Hey, do you think you could make dinner tonight?"

He laughed, his ice-blue eyes dropping to mine. "Yes, I will. Anything for you tonight."

"Mm, I wouldn't make that promise." I smirked, and he sucked in a breath as his eyes darkened.

"Are you seducing me already, baby? Because, if that's what you want, I'll give it to you before we even leave this place."

I wanted to laugh at the same time I became woozier. Why was it that hospitals made us feel as sexual as ever? Maybe worse? When Niall had been hurt, he was suggesting sex just as I was now, and it was right before we left. What was it with hospitals? And why the sexual tension?

"I'd rather be in a real bed, like our bed at home. I'm so sick of this place, so it wouldn't be as enjoyable."

He smirked as we made our way out the door and toward the car. Claire and Harry waved, smiling happily. Niall's grip tightened and dropped to my hip as if to tease me.

"Careful what you wish for, sweetheart."

"No, you just be careful what comes to you."

He laughed at me, his eyes glancing down as he took in my face. And I smiled back, because this banter was what I felt I needed after so long of being in that hospital. It was time to lighten up. I needed that more than anything.

____

"Hey, Brielle, do you want to go for a ride?"

I glanced at Niall from the couch, his tall figure looming over the kitchen counter. He wasn't eating, but instead on his phone. He'd been so focused that I hardly remembered he was even there.

"Um, sure. Where to?"

I stood from the couch, hesitant to move until I didn't feel like total crap. I'd taken a very long shower nearly two hours ago, yet somehow I still felt disgusting. It wasn't until I realized how exhausted I was that I gave up worrying about my hygiene.