Chapter Five: "Lose Him For Good"

Brielle

______

I laid cuddled across his chest, head right above his heart, and eyes wandering all around the room. I had missed this feeling. Not just because I missed the apartment. Not just because I missed sleeping next to someone, but because I missed him. I missed his smile, and his laugh. I missed hearing him curse and shout in anger whenever something made him frustrated. I missed watching him eat everything in sight, and cheer and scream at the television. I missed hearing him tell me how important it is to do my homework, and to get things done when they're supposed to be.

I missed his lips, and the way he would kiss me as gently as possible. I missed his hands sliding across my waist and around to my stomach when I was cleaning the dishes. I missed when he'd whisper how much he loved me whenever we were talking, or just sitting together. How he'd help me with my homework and all the sudden kiss me so hard that I forget where I am and even my own name. I missed his touch.

But most of all, I missed laying next to him and just listening to the calming sound of his heartbeat, slowly relaxing me, putting me to sleep ever so peacefully.

I couldn't stand being away from him for so long. And even if I screwed up, even if Claire tells me I did absolutely nothing wrong, I still believe that I messed up. I still believe that all that happens from now on is my fault. I cannot take that feeling away.

What made me even more upset was how badly tonight had turned out to be...

|| 10:00PM ||

"The coffee machine is broken!"

"I can't believe it! I fixed the damn thing just an hour ago!"

"Well, babe, it's ancient."

"It came from my mother."

"No offense, but she's ancient, too."

"That's rude. Don't tell her that."

"I've never said it to her, I swear."

"Must be why she likes you so much..."

I laughed, placing my laptop down on the desk in the guest room and padding into the kitchen where Harry and Claire continued to talk about his "ancient mother."

"I'll tell her. I don't think she likes me, anyways. It's not like I have brownie points to earn or something."

"No," Harry replied, eyeing me sternly. "My mother's opinion on my friends doesn't matter."

"It should."

"She's right, Harry," Claire said, smiling at me softly. I didn't need her to say it to know she wasn't making a stab at me.

"I don't understand why she doesn't even like you in the first place, Bri," he rambled grumpily. "You're a grade A student who handles herself well and you never get into trouble. The second most down to Earth person I know."

Claire and I struggled to hide our amusement, although she was less successful than I.

"You don't have to lie, Harry," she giggled. "I can be the first one to tell you I'm a complete bitch majority of the time."

"Not majority," I corrected, staring at her seriously. "Just a lot. But definitely not majority."

She rolled her eyes. "You don't have to lie either."

"Lying would imply me telling you you're beautiful," Harry began, turning to Claire in all complete seriousness. She frowned, and I couldn't keep mine from showing either. Until he spoke again. "Because you're gorgeous. Beautiful just doesn't cover it."