Chapter Nineteen: "Fault"

Part Two

Niall
_____

The wheels underneath screeched with how much force was put into getting the car to stop. I'd tried to cut the wheel every which way, but with the loss of friction, it was only where the car wanted to go that we went.

I had a split second to wonder what was happening, because it was then that there was a groan of the engine, and suddenly we were surging forward.

I could see the ground staring me in the face, like I was facing it in the middle of conversation, and there was only a moment where the silence of the air was rushing at us before the top of the car smashed into the ground.

The silence was replaced with metal crunching and glass shattering, along with the ground pounding against the car. My body lashed and swung, and I couldn't get myself to hold still even if I was asked to.

A few flips later (I couldn't count, otherwise I might've felt a bit better), the car flipped onto the roof and laid there, smoke spilling out in the air.

I could hear yelling, and screams, but nothing that I wanted to hear. Nothing that would've made me feel less panicked.

I moved my head as best as I could without it hurting too much, but that was unlikely. Although I didn't know why it had bothered me, seeing as the moment I caught sight of Brielle's closed eyes, I began to lash in my seat harshly.

"Brielle," I growled, fiddling with my seat belt. Glass covered the entire roof, each shard tinier than the last. But I wasn't worried about that, as I pushed down on the seat belt and fell to the ground. Hardly a groan fell out as I sat myself upright and hurried to her side.

She was unconscious, her arms hanging over her head, limp and pale. She looked more worn than before, which made the guilt way more heavily. Her face was coated in scratches from straying glass that was air-borne, and her lip had been cut.

"Brielle," I choked out, almost gasping the word. "Brielle, wake up."

I placed my hand on her shoulder gently, hoping she would open her eyes. But she was still unconscious, and I was still dying inside at the realization of this event.

"I'm gonna get you out of here," I said hurriedly. "I'm getting you out of here."

I cradled her head in one hand while pushing on the seat belt with the other. It gave out, whipping back at the seat, and she fell down into my arms. I struggled to kick the door open, though it wouldn't budge. The glass was still attached, but it was pretty much shattered, held in place so delicately that when I kicked at it, it entirely fell apart.

The screaming continued as I managed to pull her out of the window and to the safety of the outside.

The sun beat down on us, hotter now than the weather had been. It was pretty strange, actually, for the weather to feel so different from the average.

Although a lot of things were strange. Like the way the screaming was muffled in my ears, and the way Brielle felt soft and warm in my hands, as if we were just sitting together, as if I was only wrapping my hands around her frame and holding her to me.

I pulled her head into my lap and held her closer than I ever had before, wanting desperately for her to open her eyes and look at me.

"Brielle," I whispered. "Baby, please. Wake up. Please."

It was nerve wracking to wait, to want something so badly that nothing else mattered to you.

"Sir! Sir, are you alright? Oh my God, is she okay?"