Chapter Thirty: "Want to Make You Happy"

Brielle
_____

"Come cuddle with me."

Niall looked up from his phone at me, surprised that I'd said anything at all. He frowned, and then he shook his head.

"Too risky."

I almost jumped up and slapped him. "You can't be serious."

I watched as he grinned, put his phone away, and then joined me on the bed. I was confused and happy all at once, yet I could only wrap my arms around him and lay my head on his chest.

"I'm kidding," he mumbled as he wrapped his arms around me. "I'll always cuddle with you."

"Mm."

The tests had gradually slowed down, less and less everyday. Niall hadn't been as tense, but then again we hadn't talked about pushing limits or the accident at all. I tried to tell myself that was a good thing, that at least we weren't arguing, but was it really a good thing?

"Claire said they'll be discharging you in a few days," Niall told me.

"Oh, thank God. Real food."

He laughed. "You eat real food anyway."

"It's not real food, Ni, it's more like cardboard."

"At least they're feeding you."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "Please. They're stuffing me for these tests."

He went quiet, and I thought maybe I'd overstepped in conversation. Much more things were sensitive to him anymore, and though I knew it was a bit ridiculous, I respected it.

"I want you to meet my parents."

I hadn't really understood what it was he said at first, so I didn't react. And then I put his words together and suddenly I was frozen. My grip tightened on his shirt as I looked up, frowning so deeply for the first time in awhile.

He nodded, looking back at me, and took my hand in his to lace our fingers together. I couldn't say anything, though he managed to take advantage of that.

"I know you said you wanted to meet them, and I shot you down because I didn't want my father to treat you the way he has me... but I almost lost you, Brielle... and there's not just my father that's part of my family. There's my mum, my brother, maybe a few aunts. I want you to meet all of them... and I can handle my father if he gets to be who I know him to be. So yeah. I want you to meet them."

I continued to stare at him until I could truly grasp what he was saying, and even when I had a small sense, I didn't believe it. The one thing I didn't push through Niall was about meeting his parents, and for that I was always careful. I knew the boundary in which it stood where the family was a hesitant answer. I couldn't push him at all, and I didn't want to. It was a shock to even hear him say this, so I was unable to do much but stare at him.

"Say something," he whispered.

I blinked, my grip still tight on his fingers. "Niall..."

"Look, if you think it's not a good idea anymore, then fine. It's okay with me. I just-I want them to meet the one person who's changed me. I want them to meet my girlfriend, who I love so much it physically hurts. You are, at this point, the most important thing in my life, Brielle. And I think it's time you meet them. I think you deserve this."

I shook my head, a breathless, joyous laugh falling from my mouth. Despite the slight pain of moving so quickly, I spun around and kissed him hard. His arms had to tightly lock around my waist to keep us from falling off the bed, but he managed.