Chapter Thirty-Nine: "Trust"

Brielle
_____

I woke far later than I'd expected to. Niall hadn't woken me like I'd hoped, because when I did open my eyes, it was about seven in the morning of the next day. I was completely surprised and thoroughly confused. It took me a second to remember that I'd been to Niall's parents', met them and his ass of a brother, had a falling out with his father, and then left about two days later. I'd only wanted a small nap; I didn't mean to sleep that late.

There was a small note on his pillow that I noticed after rolling over and huffing. I picked it up, examining Niall's handwriting.

Went out to get some groceries. Be back soon. Love you.

I sighed, dropping the note back onto his pillow. I was hoping he'd be here so I could just sit with him and relax. Being home was making me sort of anxious, what with the threats from Judie, the burning of the photos...

But I couldn't have it all. It was either stay with Niall's parents or come back home. To be honest, minding Niall's father wasn't as bad as defending myself against Judie's tactics. I realized that maybe I didn't know what I had while being there. I'd thought that after getting into it with his father it was the worst visit, that it was a bad idea. But now I see that it wasn't. It was a break, despite the arguing. It was time away from this place that was filled with depression and darkness and dread all wrapped up as a present for me, delivered by Judie herself.

I suddenly missed Maura's hugs. I missed the feeling of a mother's love. I missed having one to talk to after losing my mom. I just missed all of it, and it hurt when I reminded myself that I didn't have it anymore.

I rubbed my eyes. I came to the conclusion that laying down with the negative thoughts floating above my head like stars and rainbows and unicorns wasn't very productive or healthy. So, as a solution, I forced myself up and out of bed.

I dressed in a simple pair of jeans and a red long sleeve tee, tossed my hair into a messy ponytail that I figured could be dealt with properly later.

The apartment was cold, though I liked it. The heat made me miserable; it was hard to sleep, less energy. At least in the cold you could warm yourself up and still be energetic.

It was completely silent, so it made sense that at first I didn't notice the person sitting in the chair in the living room. At first I'd just walked right passed him. But then as I came back into the room with coffee, my heart plummeted.

I almost spilled the coffee as I jumped back, eyes wide, heart racing after returning to its rightful place on the left side of my chest.

This time I was sure I wasn't seeing things. He was there, right there in front of me, staring with an impassive expression that made me shiver. He was with Liam. He worked with the man that wanted me dead, and he beat Niall until he was black and blue, cut and bloodied, and not once did he mention remorse until the end.

"Louis."

He didn't say anything, didn't move. He just stared at me.

I felt the nerves begin to take over. My eyes skimmed the room for something to use as a weapon if need be, something to defend myself should he make a move. I didn't care if he figured it out, nor did I care if he tried to stop me. I just knew I had to have an escape plan.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I forced myself to ask.

To my left was a vase. Flowers from Claire after the accident resided in it, but I was sure that didn't matter right now. Those flowers could be replaced. I, however, could not.

He still didn't say a word. But this time he stood up, silently, patiently, and slowly advanced toward me. I looked down at the coffee in my hand briefly, figuring that I could throw it on him and make a run for the vase. Anything was worth a try.