Chapter Forty-Two: "Wonder"

{  A/N: just because I like the quote, even though I'm a total nerd for the Hunger Games series. ^_^ now you know a little more about me. I hope you enjoy my lovely readers! }

Brielle
_____

The car rocked as we climbed in, silent with loud, vexatious thoughts. Rascal hurdled himself into the backseat, breathing heavily. Neither one of us said a word, but we all had much to say. Harry tossed the bags into the trunk over his shoulder and took Claire's hand, intertwining Claire's fingers with his. It was a kind, reassuring gesture, one that I wished could rid her of her worries. But I was too naïve, and someday that would be my demise.

"We have to stop to get our own things," Niall mumbled as he shifted the car into drive and took off down the road.

I stared out the window, brows furrowed as I pondered what was actually happening. I mean, I knew eventually we'd have to leave the apartment, our home, to be safe somewhere like we had last year, but I'd never expected to go into hiding.

Judie was clever. Somehow, she managed to figure out Charlotte and Uriah's involvement and she decided to eliminate them. I couldn't imagine how, honestly, but that wasn't what was important necessarily.

We just had to get out of there before we were caught up in some kind of gun-fight.

How could I have not figured her out already? With my car window, and then the pictures that were burned at her hand... how did I not see that she'd be after blood next? Why hadn't I put the pieces together before it had all blown to shit?

I sighed. Of course I couldn't have known. I wanted to think it was all over. I thought it was... but it wasn't. I thought he was dead... but I was wrong. He'd  never be dead. Not as long as I was still breathing.

I was so frustrated about that. When would it end? When would I get the chance to actually live a normal life? Without the threat of Liam Payne in the way. Why was that too much to ask for?

Niall pulled over to the curb outside of the apartment and he unlocked the doors. I unbuckled, reaching for the door, but he outstretched his hand and stopped me.

"I'll get them. You stay here."

Rascal jumped up front with me, barking at the passerby's on the street. I shook my head immediately as Claire reached for Rascal, calling his name to get him to come back to her.

"I'm coming with you."

"Baby, you're only going to make this a longer trip. Just sit and let me take care of it."

He got out, but surely he hadn't expected me to "sit" like a dog. I scoffed as I opened the door and climbed out. Niall turned when he heard the door slam shut, and he groaned.

"Brielle, get back in the car. I told you to stay."

"I'm not a dog," I snapped as I pushed passed him and marched up the steps of the building.

"Baby, stop," he called after me, following close behind.

I heard his footsteps loudly echo through the empty halls, close enough to me that he could reach out and pull me back. He didn't, despite how much I was sure he wanted to. Neighbors I hadn't seen in a long time roamed from their apartments and wandered passed us, not even bothering to say hello. It was okay, though, because we didn't have time.

Apartment 104 appeared right in front of my eyes, quicker than I'd expected. I twisted the knob, startled when it didn't open. I glared at the chipped paint and jiggled the knob hard.

"It's locked," Niall mumbled softly behind me.

My jaw clenched as I let go of the knob and stepped away, waiting as patiently as I could manage for him to pull his key out and push the door open. He didn't go in first, but instead gestured for me to go before him. I could tell by the slightly amused glint in his eyes that he didn't quite take me seriously enough, but I couldn't let that bother me. It was like he said, I'd take too much time in there. But that was only because of my emotions.