chapter 2 - Trigger

TRIGGER WARNING: Thug/gang violence, killing, trauma, loss, etc.

That night, Carolina was in her room, after getting it mostly set up. She came across a picture of herself with a boy that made her pause. She looked at the picture longingly, forlorn, upset. She sat down, touching the face of the boy in the picture, sniffling, tears forming in her eyes.

Flashback - A Year Ago

Carolina had been walking and hanging out with her boyfriend Noah in a park with his dog Bullet, taking him for a walk, while talking and having a little bit of fun, even after the sun went down. They were almost 15 years old at this point in their lives.

"Thanks for asking to hang out tonight, Noah," Carolina told him. "I seriously could not take being around Kenny and my mom tonight. Nothing against Mom, it's just Kenny is such an asshole."

Noah smiled. "No problem, Caro."

"I just really wish that we could get away from all the drama and the boys," Carolina admitted. "But I want Mom to be happy. And Ginny and Austin. It's just..."

"Complicated," Noah finished.

"Right, yeah," Carolina answered.

"I get it," Noah told her. "I mean, my stepdad's a douche. I can't help that, but I can get away from him as much as possible too."

They both took a seat on a bench.

"Do you ever wonder what it could be like without drama and the men that our mothers bring into our lives?" Carolina asked. "Sometimes I just wanna get a bike like my dad's, drive off for a little while and just go wherever."

"Like a road trip?" Noah asked.

"Yeah, something like that," Carolina answered. "I wanna travel."