chapter 14 - Sleepless Nights

Georgia had never had trouble with men. It was effortless to her, like breathing. She always knew what to say, how to be. It was like a magical power of hers. She was unapologetically fearless. She just put herself out there. Men, sex, all of it. 

Of course, it was completely different for Carolina and Ginny. 

Carolina was confident with herself, but she was afraid of opening up again and letting something like with Noah happening again. Scared to put herself out there and risk the chance of losing someone else she loved like that, and getting very hurt in the process all over again.

Ginny wanted to be confident, but she wasn't. She was awkward and timid and trying to be something she wasn't. Someone she wasn't. Trying too hard and too much to fit in. It wasn't fear that was holding her back like with Caro. But she still couldn't measure up to Georgia.

Georgia would say, "Men are visual creatures. So give 'em something to look at."

Early one morning, Carolina was brushing her teeth in the bathroom. Ginny and Georgia came to brush their teeth as well. Georgia was dancing around a little bit, smiling at her daughters, knowing that even though they were having their issues, they were trying to remain civil and get back to being on good terms. Ginny and Georgia started to brush their teeth as well. Ginny did a little dance around from boredom, but Carolina just looked at them in amusement, not dancing around. When Caro's vibrating brush stopped, she looked in a drawer for batteries, but could find none. Georgia nodded, holding up a finger, turning around, walking out of the room, before returning with her vibrator, causing Ginny's eyes to widen, and causing Carolina to try and not to laugh. Georgia smirked, popping open the vibrator to take out the batteries, putting them into Carolina's toothbrush, handing it to her, finishing up, walking out. Ginny and Carolina exchanged a look.

After school, Carolina was sitting on the porch, reading and doing homework, breathing a little deeply, looking up, feeling a little more at ease than she had before while sitting outside in fresh air.

Georgia was getting home from work, getting out of her car, walking closer, looking up at Carolina. "Hey, buttercup. What's up?"

"Just needed the air," Carolina answered. "Sitting at my window didn't cut it this time."

Georgia nodded in understanding. "You doing okay?"

"Yeah, just, uh..." Carolina trailed off. "It's fine. I'm fine. But, uh, your garden's not fine."

Georgia looked toward the garden to see that it was a mess, scoffing, looking at Carolina. "What happened?"

Ellen ran over to them. "It's the cottontails. We're at the end of breeding season. You should probably put up a fence."