chapter 16 - Jump Scare

Georgia was a total horror movie buff. From classics to camp, she loves them all.

She would say, "Fear. It hits you right in the solar plexus. To really stimulate fear is an art form. You need tension, threat, foreboding."

Georgia loved scary movies because it was fear in a formula. She loved dissecting it. 

She would say, "There are rules in scary movies. You can always tell who's gonna bite it and who's gonna survive to the sequel."

Carolina learned to love scary movies from a young age because of this. Though for a year, she clearly had to take the time away from the genre since real life had been terrifying for her enough. Real life was always more scary. Though this year, she was ready to get back to what she loved. Even if the Millers were worried that the Halloween time could be triggering for Carolina due to stupid kids or teens or even adults doing scares with very big noises or something worse, or the fact that Caro was set more on edge because of the time. Caro decided to remedy this by staying at home and watching movies and doing nothing else, and though the time of year did set her on edge, she was excited to see horror movies that she had seen before, repeatedly, and knew exactly how they were going to go. When she knew what was going to happen, and knew that it was only in a movie, she could be more at ease, and even excited to spend the next night watching them.

Carolina popped up in the kitchen behind Georgia. "What's your favorite scary movie?"

Georgia gasped, turning around. "Jesus, you scared the shit out of me!"

Carolina chuckled, speaking while Ginny walked in. "I think I finally cracked the perfect Halloween movie marathon. Scream, Black Swan, and The Shining. The Shining is classic. Scream is camp, plus the whole series is a satire on all the tropes and stupid decisions made in horror movies. Plus I just love it for some reason. Cap it off with Black Swan. It's contemplative, nuanced, eerily disturbing, and it has a message. I'm not sure what it is. Something to do with the two women mirroring each other. The constant need for perfection and adoration."

Ginny nodded sarcastically. "Wow, you're a genius. Was that an off-the-cuff thesis or did you practice that?"

Carolina gave her a sarcastic look. Though she did show her excitement to see the movies and just spend the night home where she knew she would be okay tomorrow night, it was easy for Ginny and Georgia to tell that this time of year did put her a little uneasy.

"Caro, you okay?" Georgia asked.

"Yeah, I'll be fine at home, and out in public as long as nobody makes super long banging echoing noises that my brain would probably immediately think of as gunshots," Carolina answered. "I'm trying to enjoy Halloween, after all."

Georgia nodded in understanding, turning to the stove top to continue cooking. "Glad to hear you so excited about horror movies again though."

Carolina watched Georgia get breakfast ready like she knew that her mother was up to something, having a feeling she would try a teasing jump scare to make all her kids feel better, narrowing her eyes in amusement.