chapter 22 - Happy Sweet 16 to Us, Sis

Georgia always went big for birthdays. 

She would say, "Life won't throw you parties. You gotta make your own."

Even when they were dead broke, she would find a way to make it festive. For Carolina and Ginny's 12th birthday, she dropped a stink bomb so they could have the  whole movie theater to themselves and sing along to Moana as loudly as they wanted.

At home in the kitchen, Carolina watched Georgia make a small but festive cake, chuckling slightly. "Nice, Mom."

Ginny walked in, with straight hair, and sat at the counter with Carolina, though distance was clearly seen between them.

Georgia and Carolina were both surprised by Ginny's hair.

"Your hair," Georgia said. "It's straight."

Ginny flicked her hair behind her shoulder. "I wanted a change. New, older me."

"But I love your natural hair," Georgia told her.

"Aw," Ginny fake pouted. "Then you wear it."

"Just take the damn compliment and move on," Carolina told her.

Ginny gave her a glare, before looking at the cake. "It's 7:00 AM. I don't want cake."

"Maybe I do," Carolina replied. "It's not just your birthday, bitch. It's mine too."

Georgia gave them both a look. "Okay." She lit the candles on the cake, smiling, starting to sing while walking around the counter toward them, on Carolina's side. "Happy birthday to you / Happy birthday to you / Happy birthday dear Carolina and Ginny."

"Must you sing the whole song?" Ginny asked.

"Must you complain the whole time?" Carolina replied.

Georgia nodded to Ginny's question, and both she and Caro knew Ginny would complain the whole time, answering both questions with the one word. "Yeah." She continued to sing. "Happy birthday to you." Carolina blew out her candle on the cake. Ginny reluctantly did the same, before glaring at Carolina and Georgia. Carolina gave Ginny a glare in return. Georgia brought over an envelope. "This came from Zion's parents."

Carolina took the envelope. "You opened it."

Georgia smiled. "They sent 500 for each of you."

Austin ran in to give the twins two different cards. "Happy birthday, Caro. Happy birthday, Ginny."

Carolina smiled at her brother. "Aw, thanks, Austin."

Carolina gave Austin a hug. Carolina and Ginny both took their cards to read. Carolina smiled at hers.

"Cake!" Austin cheered.

"Cake!" Georgia cheered. "Go brush your teeth." Austin ran off to do as told. Carolina used a knife to cut two pieces off the cake for her and Austin already, placing the first on her plate. "16. Adults. Little women. My little women."