chapter 32 - History Repeating

Love. Everyone thought love was so beautiful. Such a fairy tale. Caro knew better. She had seen her parents and what love had done to them. It never let them fully be happy without the other. It never let them separate, but when they were together, it never ended well for them or their family.

Caro had also already lost one boyfriend, and what happened that night, to him and to her, it was devastated, debilitating, and ruining. And now she feared that it could happen all over again.

Love was parasitic, it was painful, and it was inconvenient. She didn't trust love. She didn't like what it did to people. Love was up, down, easy, hard, and everything and anything that anyone could say or think of. But she knew that no one could ever really fight against it. No matter how hard they tried.

At first when Carolina woke up the next morning and saw that Marcus wasn't there, she didn't think much of it, knowing that he kept his word about leaving when she fell asleep to go home so he wouldn't get in too much trouble.

But when she heard about the bike accident, and knowing Marcus was in the hospital, she was absolutely horrified. Terrified that for her, history may have been repeating. She was so scared to lose Marcus after she had already lost someone she loved before. Just when she had admitted to herself, and to others, how she really felt about Marcus, and allowed herself to actually want to see what it was like for them to be together, and even kissed him... before he saw an episode of hers after an emotional and angry fight with her sister and saw Caro about to hurt herself... now he was the one hurt and in the hospital, and Caro felt powerless to do anything about it.

Carolina had spent all night the night Marcus was in the hospital not being able to sleep, pacing, freaking out, and not knowing what to do. She kept texting him, but didn't get a reply, and she wondered if he had lost his phone due to the bike accident, or if he didn't have it, or if it was just off, but it didn't relieve any of her paranoia, worry or fear as she anxiously waited for news to see if he was okay.

When morning came, Georgia came to check on Carolina, who hadn't been able to sleep. "Hey."

Carolina sat up, worried. "Have you heard anything?"

Georgia sat in front of Carolina, sighing heavily. "When I last talked to Ellen, he was going in for a CAT scan." Carolina looked away, breathing shakily. Georgia, knowing she was scared, took her hands. "He's gonna be okay. It's not gonna happen again, Caro."

"You don't know that," Carolina told her.

Georgia knew she was right, sighing. "Can we talk about it?"

"About what?" Carolina asked. "You or Dad, Ginny being a complete bitch and sending me into one of my worst episodes again, or the fact that Marcus got into a motorcycle accident?"

"Either," Georgia answered. "All."

Carolina didn't want to talk about any of it, closing off again, plus the fact that she was exhausted. "I just wanna get some sleep."