chapter 17 - Day of the Dead

Ginny was at dinner with Hunter and his family, while Georgia was having her dinner date with Paul.

Meanwhile, Carolina was at home with Austin, watching movies. She left his arm around him until he fell asleep, smiling a bit at how he fell asleep.

Her phone vibrated, and she checked the text, seeing it was from Marcus.

Marcus: Hey.

Carolina: Hi.

Marcus: What's up?

Carolina: Watching movies with my little brother. He just fell asleep.

Marcus: Oh cool. Can we talk?

Carolina: Sure. Give me a min.

Carolina gently laid Austin down to sleep, making sure he was sound asleep, smiling a bit at how sweet he looked while sleeping, before standing, and stepping outside on the porch.

Marcus was walking up to the house. "Hey."

"Hey," Carolina replied. "Sorry about earlier today with Max and Ginny interrupting us. It's, uh..."

"It's fine," Marcus told her. "Just our twin sisters annoying us again."

"That's the job of the sisters," Carolina pointed out.

Marcus chuckled. "Yeah, guess so."

They heard a few jump scare yells down the street from preteens trying to scare each other, as there was a loud bang that was echoing, something that could easily be a trigger for a memory that could have been traumatizing, like making Carolina remember gunshots going off the year before.

Carolina tensed while jumping only slightly, closing her eyes, inhaling a deep breath before exhaling.

Marcus saw how she looked a little sad and on edge, concerned. "Carolina?" Carolina looked up. "Are you good?"

"Um..." Carolina trailed off. 

Marcus sighed, looking sheepish. "I know today, you and your sister were talking that today and tomorrow could be hard and that's why you didn't want to go to the party, so..."

"Yeah," Carolina agreed. "With all the idiots out there trying to make a scare, I said that I would stay at home and do a horror movie thing to try and make sure that... nothing like that happened. Before the party suggestion." Marcus nodded in understanding. "I really thought I would be okay for Halloween. It used to be my favorite holiday."

"It's okay," Marcus said. "You know, that you're not. Is there anything..."

"Not much you can do," Carolina pointed out. "But thanks."