chapter 34 - Feelings Are Hard

After work, Carolina climbed through Marcus's window instead of him always with hers.

Marcus was sitting up in bed, not surprised by this, but amused. "Interesting entrance."

Carolina shrugged, walking closer. "Inspired by a friend." Marcus chuckled, closing his laptop, placing it aside. "Hi."

"Hi," Marcus replied.

Carolina sighed. "My dad left."

Marcus frowned. "Shit. I'm sorry."

Carolina shook her head. "No, it's better this way, I think, even if my sister can't see it. My mom stays happy, my sister keeps her friends, Austin does too even if he struggles. I can stay here with you." Marcus smiled. "Dad'll be close in case we need him. So... that's a huge plus. Boston." Marcus nodded in understanding. "What about you? Do you feel any better?"

"A little," Marcus answered. "They got me on some pain meds. My head hurts, but it doesn't feel as bad as before. Plus..."

"Sleep helps," Carolina finished.

Marcus nodded in agreement. "And I've been getting plenty of that. So..." Carolina managed a small smile. Marcus looked at her for a moment, biting his lip. "I, uh... I said something last night to someone... about you, actually." Carolina raised a curious eyebrow. "And what I said was 'I think I love her.' You, Caro. I think I love you. You're basically all I think about. I just... want you to be happy. I love you, Carolina Miller."

Carolina processed the words silently in surprise, but relief, because of what she had felt, corners of her lips turned up softly. "I...  I think I love you too. I tried to fight it, because... I mean... hello. But I think about you all the time. And when you got hurt, I was so scared, and I was regretting fighting this and running from this, and I don't want to do that anymore. I love you. Marcus Baker. So... I just... I don't want to be held back by anything anymore." Carolina was flustered, but clearly meant every word even though it was terrifying to admit it given everything that had happened. Marcus placed a hand on her cheek, leaning in to kiss her. Carolina relaxed into the kiss for a long moment, both set more at ease, clearly happy to have admitted how they felt, pulling away. Carolina sighed. "Why did all this have to be so damn complicated and hard?"

"Well, feelings are hard," Marcus answered. Carolina nodded, placing her hands on his neck, kissing him once more, looking at him, smiling a bit, biting her lip. "This probably isn't good for concussion recovery."

Carolina let go, placing her hands over her mouth. "Oh, I'm sorry."

Marcus smiled. "Oh, I don't care." Carolina smiled, looking down. Marcus brushed back a piece of her hair, looking her in the eyes. "I really like your smile."

"Yeah, well, you might get to see it a little more than in the past," Carolina replied.

Marcus smiled. "Planning on it."