chapter 23 - Complicated

That night, at the Miller house, the four Millers were sitting at the dinner table, eating, having breakfast for dinner, and it was so silent given the drama the Millers had been through, the tension palpable.

Georgia broke the silence. "You guys love breakfast for dinner."

"I'm not hungry," Austin said.

"Me either," Ginny said.

"How was the big birthday in school?" Georgia asked. "Anybody do anything fun?"

Ginny sighed. "Not really."

Carolina raised an eyebrow. "Oh, yeah, not for me at least, though for you, you're only saying that to try and get even with Mom. Hunter tap dancing to happy birthday at school for you was definitely not fun for me, but you loved it."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "It was for you too."

Carolina shook her head. "No, no, it wasn't. He barely acknowledged me, and I dreaded every moment of that. Your boyfriend is the definition of 'stay positive and keep smiling'. If live love laugh was a person. But saying that he did that for me too? It's complete bullshit."

The dinner fell into silence once again. Georgia took a loud bite of her waffle.

"Mom!" Austin exclaimed. "You know I hate it when you chew loudly!"

Austin stood, storming off to his room.

"Austin!" Georgia called. They heard Austin's bedroom door slam shut. Carolina frowned in concern. "He's nervous for school Monday. It's his first day back since the incident."

"By incident, do you mean when he violently stabbed another student?" Ginny asked coldly.

Carolina took a drink. "Stop acting like he's a villain or gonna become a serial killer. Overreacting much?"

Georgia put on a smile to try and change the subject. "Are you excited for tomorrow? Big birthday surprise."

"You know what?" Ginny asked. "Why? Why can't you have a single real conversation? You act like nothing happened. You know what I want for my birthday? I want you to treat me like an adult."

Carolina sighed, tilting her head back. "Ginny, you claim you want to be treated like an adult, but when things don't go your way, you cry and throw temper tantrums. You come for Mom, day after day, and she just sits there and takes it, so why are you so surprised when she doesn't tell you anything? Why are you so surprised that I don't talk to you about anything anymore after the way you've been lashing out at Mom, and at me, telling your friends something you had no right to tell them about? If this is how you act when you don't know the truth, just imagine how you would act if you ever found out."

Ginny stood, storming off, slamming her door to her room.

Carolina sighed, looking at Georgia.

Georgia shrugged, taking a bite. "You tried, Caro." Carolina exhaled in a big gust. "When did I stop being cool?"