chapter 20 - Fire Dodge

Carolina walked into the kitchen of the Miller house to see Georgia and Maddie talking and drinking wine.

"What about you?" Maddie asked. "You datin'?"

"She's dating a mayor," Carolina answered, adding sarcastically. "Keepin' a nice, low profile."

"You bagged a mayor?" Maddie asked. "Damn, sis, that's some high-class shit. So when do I get to meet him?"

Carolina grabbed her leather jacket, walking toward the front door.

Georgia turned to look at her. "Excuse me? Where are you goin'?"

Carolina turned to face Georgia, pulling on her leather jacket. "Out."

"Out doin' what?" Georgia asked.

"Meth," Carolina replied sarcastically. Georgia gave her a look. Carolina smirked, answering with the truth this time. "Weed and drinking with a friend. Good night."

"You be careful," Georgia told her. Carolina held up a peace sign, walking out, closing the door behind her. Maddie raised her eyebrows at Georgia. "Oh, don't look at me like that. It's the only thing that helps her. Things with Ginny and Carolina have been so rigid lately. Ginny's mad at us all the time, and she's gonna stay mad at us forever. Caro's just so defensive and uses meanness as a wall to make others leave her alone. It's hard to keep up with them both."

"Glad I have a son," Maddie remarked.

"I don't know where they get it," Georgia remarked.

Maddie snickered. "Are you kiddin'? You. Full you. All you." She pointed to where Carolina walked off. "That's you walkin' out the door. The way you make it sound, them fighting sounds like you and me. Carolina is her mother's daughter, and it looks like Caro and Ginny mirror you and me."

Georgia sighed. "God, I hope not."

"Let her go and blow off some steam," Maddie told her. "And the other twin's probably got plans with that cute boyfriend."

"How do you know about Hunter?" Georgia asked.

"Social media," Maddie answered. "That's how I found you and the girls at that café. I followed Ginny. Spoke to Carolina at her job. Connected the dots."

"Why are you here, Maddie?" Georgia asked.

Maddie took a drink. "I missed you. Caleb should know his cousins. After Mom goes, you're all we got."