chapter 36 - Sing Like A Jailbird

That night was the opening night of Max's musical, Sing Sing, where she was the lead.

Carolina walked into the school hallway where the play was being held, seeing that Marcus was standing in the hallway outside the auditorium, walking up to him, smiling a bit. "Hey."

Marcus chuckled, smiling at seeing her. "Hey. Thanks for coming, Caro."

"Yeah," Carolina agreed. They shared a kiss. Carolina looked at the fading road burn marks on the side of his face, and on his arms. "How are you doing?"

"Better, bit by bit," Marcus answered. "Could've been a lot worse."

Carolina sighed. "Oh, I was afraid it would've been. And then dreaded what would've happened now if it had been a lot worse."

Marcus frowned. "What do you mean?"

Carolina looked up at him, sighing. "Nothing. We can talk about it after the play. Believe it or not, Max asked me to come too."

Marcus smirked. "Oh, so you're also here for Max. Are you two actually becoming friends, proving Carolina Miller has gone soft?"

Carolina pointed a finger into his chest, smirking a slight smile up at him. "Bite your tongue."

Marcus chuckled. Carolina bit her lip with a small smile. Marcus leaned in, his hand on Carolina's cheek, thumb rubbing back and forth, making her feel calm just for a second, their eyes locked as they looked deeply into the other's eyes. Their lips brushed for a second, before crashing together with fierce passion, melting into the kiss. When they pulled away, Marcus smiled, stroking Carolina's cheek before brushing a hair behind her ear, which made Carolina smile.

Marcus took her hand. "Come on."

Carolina nodded, and they walked into the auditorium.

Ginny was there, holding a bouquet of flowers looking around, turning to see Carolina and Marcus, all three of them looking tense and awkward, while neither Marcus or Ginny knew that Carolina knew what happened with the accident. 

"Caro, Marcus, hey," Ginny told them nervously. "Uh, Carolina, can we talk?"

"Marcus said I could sit with him and his parents since Mom and Austin aren't here," Carolina told her, cold and crisp.

"It'll just take a minute," Ginny told her.

Marcus looked around. "Uh, they should be getting here. I'll go get our seats."

Marcus walked away.

Ginny looked at Carolina. "Why are you avoiding me? And talking to Max? Why are the girls avoiding me?" Carolina tried to walk away. Ginny stopped her. "Caro, stop. Why are you mad at me?" Carolina scoffed. "What? I know we fight all the time, but we still love each other. You're my twin sister. Why are you and the girls being mean to me for no reason? Caro, please, just tell me what I did."