chapter 10 - Problems

The following day, Carolina was wearing the dark jacket that Georgia had gotten for her at the store the day before, not leather like usual, but still dark. She was at school, ignoring Ginny and all her so called friends out of annoyance, closing her locker, walking down the hallway.

Bracia was with her friends. "Oh, hey, Carolina. You going to leadership?"

Carolina looked like she had forgotten about that, just now remembering. "Uh, I don't think so. Sorry. Family stuff."

Carolina walked away.

Georgia had gathered her kids to play a game on a field with other families and other people. The game was lawn bowling.

Georgia held up the bigger black ball, rolling it across the field toward the small white ball.

"Why do I have to be here?" Carolina asked.

"Well, Ginny's grounded for her near misdemeanor, I'm trying to get you out of your little shell and repellant to society," Georgia answered. "Because we're bonding as a family." She tickled Austin, making him laugh. "Because I wanna cheer up Austin. Pick your favorite." She looked around behind her toward where she saw Paul, smirking. "Hey, guys, I'll be right back."

Georgia walked away to go talk with Paul, which her kids noticed.

"'Cause my mom's a lying skank," Ginny muttered.

Carolina rolled her eyes. "Shut up. He's her boss. Get over it."

Later, Georgia and Paul were playing the game with Austin.

Ginny and Carolina were a little distance away from them, talking alone, not into the game.

Carolina looked at Ginny. "So Abby and Norah didn't even come to apologize to you. Still don't want me to say anything?"

"Nope," Ginny answered. "It's whatever."

"Fine," Carolina replied. "How's Hunter?"

Ginny clearly wanted to get back at Carolina for her attitude against her friends. "He's great. How's Marcus?" Carolina raised her eyebrows. "I'm always catching you two smoking or something, or he's staring at you in the hallways, especially when Press was talking to you before you went all bitch on him to get him to hate you and leave you alone." Carolina shrugged. "And you're doing that thing when you're avoiding someone that you like. So looks like something is going on between you and Marcus."

"There's nothing going on," Carolina denied. "Though maybe you should go tampon shopping with Hunter. It's not like he's a stranger to one."

"Only if you and Marcus kick the stoner habit," Ginny retorted. "Oh, and tell him to keep it down if he's gonna sneak in in the middle of the night. I really don't need to hear all that."