chapter 29 - One Mask Off

Georgia was at home sitting in the kitchen at the counter, drinking from a glass of wine, when Carolina, Ginny and Zion returned home.

"And that guy who did his entire piece in iambic pentameter?" Carolina asked.

"That was wild," Zion agreed. Georgia put her glass down, looking at Carolina with a tilted head and narrowed gaze, which they knew was never good. "Uh-oh..."

"You guys have a good time?" Georgia asked.

"Dad took us to this slam poetry in Boston," Ginny explained. "Every performance was bananas. And then Dad gets up on the stage, and at first, I thought I was gonna detonate, but you should've heard him. He did this entire piece on fatherhood."

Carolina chuckled. "Langston Hughes in a leather jacket. It was really inspiring."

Georgia nodded. "Sounds it. You know, I had an inspiring night, too. Maybe I'll do a slam poetry piece about it." She stood. "Let's see. Motherhood. Doing laundry. Unscented Tide for... sensitive skin." She gave Carolina a look. "Suddenly, a face in the window." Carolina, realizing that she saw Marcus, looked stunned. "Betrayal. Disillusionment. Worry. Anger. Red hot anger. Rage. Questions. So many questions. Why is this boy climbing through the window of my 16 year old daughter in the middle of the night?" Carolina tilted her head. Ginny realized it was about Marcus, making a face as if to say 'I knew it'. "How long has this been going on for? Are they having sex? Are they being safe?" Zion looked at Carolina. "What the hell is going on? Anger." Carolina closed her eyes, sighing, shaking her head. "Fury. Motherhood."

Georgia raised her hand to snap her fingers.

"Hmm," Zion hummed. "Not half bad."

Georgia looked at Carolina. "What, and I cannot express this enough, the hell, is Marcus Baker doing climbing through your window?"

"It's not what you think," Carolina told her. "We're just friends. It's not a big deal."

Georgia nodded. "Mm-hmm."

Carolina sighed. "You don't..."

"Understand," Carolina and Georgia said at the same time.

"Nothing is happening," Carolina told her. "Why are you making such a big deal about this?"

"You knew that Marcus was basically her supplier for weed and some drinking, and you didn't think that he would be climbing through her window at night?" Ginny asked skeptically.

Carolina gave her a look. "Not helping."

"How long has Marcus been doing this little Spider Man routine?" Georgia asked.

Carolina looked away, sighing. "A while."

Zion sighed. "Georgia, we both talked the vibe Carolina and Marcus had."