chapter 18 - Repercussions

The Millers were standing together in the mayor's office building. Carolina was the furthest away from Ginny she could be right then, leaning against the wall.

Ginny looked at Georgia sarcastically, bitterly. "So, dating Paul. Should I say 'I told you so' now, or do you want to hear it after I've rehearsed it a little? Nice costume, by the way. Very Confederate chic."

"Shut the hell up, Ginny," Carolina told her. "You have no room to talk."

Georgia looked between the twins, sighing. "Now what's going on?"

Ginny looked nervous about Carolina telling Georgia.

Carolina pushed away from the wall, arms crossed over her chest, shrugging. "Oh, I don't know, Mom. Maybe Ginny would like to tell you."

"Caro..." Ginny trailed off.

"No, go on and tell Mom and Austin about how you told your flimsy friends about the worst night of my life," Carolina told her. "About what happened to me, and Noah, and Bullet."

Georgia looked at Ginny incredulously. "You did what?"

"I was trying to get them to understand Carolina and why she acts the way she does, and it was to make sure that she would be welcome at the Halloween party tonight even after all the things she's said to them," Ginny explained. "And then she slapped me when she found out I told."

Georgia looked at Carolina in surprise, but knowing she was justified with Ginny's betrayal of trust.

"Because that wasn't your choice to make," Carolina replied. "You had no right to tell anyone about what happened. Especially without my knowledge."

"You would've told me not to," Ginny told her.

"Of course I would've," Carolina told her angrily. "It's nobody's damn business about what I went through or what I still go through. And I'll say it again, the only ones I've been directly openly and actually hostile to are Press and Sam, and they're not even your friends. All the others just annoy me."

"And you made that clear every time you spoke to them before we made the deal that you would ignore them completely," Ginny replied. "Tonight was gonna be an exception because I knew that you might need it. I was trying to help you with the party."

"Well, you're not helping anything, and you should've known that I wouldn't want to go to a party with those people again," Carolina retorted. "I'm fine staying home tonight and watching my movies like I planned. I'll be with Austin the entire night. I'll be fine."

"Oh, fine like earlier when you jumped out of your skin because a boy stabbed a balloon next to you?" Ginny asked sarcastically. "Oh, yeah, you're real fine, Caro."

Carolina glared at Ginny, walking closer.

Georgia stepped between them, guiding Carolina back. "Enough, both of you. Ginny, you had no right telling your friends about that night or what Carolina goes through. Those girls could tell others and then what? You just gonna live with the fact that you're the reason your sister's trauma is out in the open?"