chapter 24 - Surprise!

The following morning, the Millers were having breakfast.

Georgia smiled at her daughters. "You excited for your big sweet 16 surprise today?"

"Gosh, Mom, I don't know," Ginny told her sarcastically, bitterly. "I had such a fun first surprise already when the mayor was naked in the bathroom."

Carolina raised her eyebrows.

The mayor in question, Paul walked over with French toast, pausing in sheepish embarrassment, offering the food as a change of subject. "French toast?"

Austin smiled, nodding. "Awesome!"

Paul gave them each a piece, before sitting down.

Ginny got an idea to get back at Georgia and annoy Carolina again, looking at Austin. "Remember when Mom dated Omid, and he'd always throw grapes in the air and catch them in his mouth?" Austin tossed a grape in the air, trying to catch it in his mouth, but failed. "Remember Louis the fry cook? How he'd always make us biscuits?"

Georgia shook her head, looking at Paul, mouthing. 'Sorry.'

Paul shook his head to assure it was okay.

Carolina was biting her tongue from saying something that would start another fight since the mayor was there.

"I liked Louis," Austin told them.

"Me too, but I didn't like Tucker," Ginny said.

"Ew!" Austin complained. "Tucker!"

Georgia gave Ginny a look. "That's enough."

Paul looked at the twins. "So I hear your mom has quite the big day planned. Are you excited?"

"Not really," Ginny answered.

"Ignore her," Carolina told him. "I'm hesitant on surprises, for obvious reasons." Paul frowned, and Carolina had a little relief knowing that Georgia hadn't told him about her trauma. "But knowing Mom, it won't be a bad surprise for our birthday."

Ginny scoffed. "Everything's a bad surprise with Mom, Caro."

Carolina rolled her eyes, trying very hard not to say something.

The doorbell rang.

Georgia stood. "I got it."

Georgia walked to the door.

Carolina looked at Paul. "What's happening?"

Paul smiled, shrugging.

Georgia led Norah, Abby and Max in, all shouting, "Surprise!"

Carolina raised her eyebrows. "Oh, God."