chapter 4 - Sound of Silence

Carolina walked into the bathroom during lunch because of Max's rant about being into "gruesome shit" and only listening to podcasts about girls like them being brutally murdered struck a cord with her since that could have been her just a year ago. She sighed heavily, going to a stall to sit down, holding her head, trying to get her breathing under control. She was not having an episode, but she was very overwhelmed and just in the need of something to calm her down.

Though when she heard the voices of two girls by the sinks, that did nothing to help calm her nerves or temper.

"Hey, did you see the new girls?" Girl 1 asked.

Girl 2 nodded. "OMG, the black ones? I mean, they're pretty for black girls. Their hair is everything."

Carolina was fed up, stepping out of her stall after finishing, slamming the door open way louder than necessary, causing the girls to freeze in shock. "You do realize saying pretty for black girls isn't a compliment, right? It's racist. You might as well say 'all black girls are ugly, but you're pretty for your race'. Well done. Next time just stick to 'they're pretty' and leave it as that."

Carolina rapidly washed her hands, walking out in annoyance, walking into the hallway, lost in her thoughts as she circled around the corner, bumping into someone, stumbling back but catching herself.

The one she bumped into was Marcus. "I'm sorry, that was my faul..." They both realized who they bumped into. Marcus smirked in amusement. "Are you stalking me, neighbor?"

Carolina scoffed. "You wish. Just distracted because of some racist assholes already on my first day and your blabbering twin sister bringing up--You know what? Doesn't matter."

Marcus frowned, looking sympathetic, though confused about what Max could have said. "Yeah, Maxine's a lot to handle most of the time. All the time."

Carolina scoffed. "Yeah. Figured that out in the first five minutes of meeting her." She sighed, frustrated but giving in. "I was gonna try to get through the first day without smoking or drinking, but I just can't. You got weed on you?"

Marcus leaned against some of the lockers, smirking. "That didn't take you long to ask."

Carolina shrugged. "Do you got it or not?"

Marcus chuckled. "Yeah, I do, but not here."

Marcus turned back to where he came from, leading Carolina through the school hallways, until they stopped at a fire escape door. Marcus dug into his pocket, handing Carolina a pre rolled blunt and a lighter, about to walk away.

Carolina grabbed his arm, knowing that she would be less likely to have an episode if she was not alone. "You wanna smoke with me?"

Marcus tried to suppress a smile. "Uh, yeah, sure. It's whatever." Marcus opened the door and led the way outside. Carolina followed, and they reached a parking lot dip that seemed to be for stoners. Carolina sat on the concrete uplift, blunt between her lips, lighting it with the lighter, taking the first hit, and seeming to start to relax almost instantly as she closed her eyes and slowly exhaled the smoke. She took another hit, before handing it over to Marcus. Marcus took the blunt, looking at Carolina curiously. "You know, I told you and your mom my name last night. Marcus. Baker. And I'm sure Maxine has already talked shit about me to you and your sister."