Chapter 42

Madagascar's POV:

I sat down on my bed. I was really tired today. It had been another day of only cleaning and I barely got anything to eat. I was really hungry, but that was nothing new. I opened one of my draws and under a pile of clothes was a framed picture that I was allowed to keep. One of the only things I was allowed to keep.

It was a picture of dear Mali. She was so smiley and happy before everything changed. I miss her. I let out a small stressed sigh. I wanted to see her again, but I can't keep going these many days without food. What day am I up to? 5? 6?

I had recently found another new badge for her. She loved badges and was allowed to keep them in her cell. I had recently found a small yellow badge that had been randomly hidden in a box of tea bags in one of the free-time rooms. I think she will like it.

I know I'm not allowed to take food or drinks that aren't earnt but chewing on the tea leaves seemed to get me going throughout the day, and no one ever checks up on the tea bags anyway. It's not substantial, but it works.

I make sure to be extra secretive about taking badges, because last time I got caught, I was demoted to this stupid job. I worked so hard to get to the top, but one little mistake and I'm stuck mopping the blood from cell floors.

Oh well, I am where I am and I can't really change that. But nevermind all that, I needed to find Cook, he always lets me have my food slips early. Thank god that some people here aren't strict.

I was feeling quite weak, but it wasn't anything new. I hoisted myself from the bed and put the photo back in the draw. Also at the bottom of my draw as a small match box the didn't contain any matches, only a couple of badges I had been saving up.

Badges aren't easy to find, but you can easily get some by trading your food slips. It seems to be the only currency in this awful empire. Sacrifice your stomach satisfaction for other essentials like human contact.

I stashed the match box in my pocket and left my room. I headed towards the kitchen, I knew that would be where Cook is. He rarely leaves that place, even at night. I can't believe he works that hard.

I was only a few metres from the door of the kitchen when Cook actually flung open the door, shouting at someone inside. He seemed to be about to stomp off when he bumped into me. It's hard to believe someone that tiny can be that angry. He is usually pretty chirpy.

"Oh, Madi, her, you can have two food slips if you reason with Niue for me. I can't deal with him," He grumbled, handing me two slips.

"Is this about... you know?" I asked.

"Yes, I can't deal with him right now. I'm going to take a break,"

"Um, alright..." I mumbled awkwardly.

America's POV:

Chaos. Stress and chaos. I don't know what there is to do. I was still perplexed about the results of the arm. It didn't make sense. I watched him die, but Gray said he was still alive. But then again, I couldn't completely trust Gray.

"It's been a while since I have checked on her. Maybe I should bring her some food," I thought to myself. I was a little hungry myself and I had only eaten 10 minutes ago. Maybe she would like a hamburger. I checked the time.

"Damn, the cafeteria closed a few minutes ago. I'll just get her a pack of chips from a vending machine," I shrugged. I always made sure I had vending machines in every room and hall. I get hungry easily and I can make more money off of it.

Before leaving I decided to put on a tie. I found a neat blue and white tie that would fit with my shirt. I couldn't remember the last time I wore a tie. Usually it brings back the memories of World meetings where Dad used to make us wear a tie, but making children wear fancy nooses while we all hated each other was not a good idea.

I left my office and wandered down the halls until I found the vending machine.

"What kind of chips would she like? I guess you can't go wrong with sea salt," I mumbled to myself as I punched in the numbers. The packet of chips fell down and I quickly snatched it up. Holding the packet of chips in my hands, I set off towards her holding cell.

As I was walking though, I noticed Scotland walking around as if he was highly intoxicated. I didn't want to disturb him, the fact that I have alcohol available to everyone seems to be the only reason people don't argue around here.

I made it to the door before long and unlocked it. I slipped inside, shutting the door behind me.

"Oh, hello Mr America," She said cheerily.

"Hello Gray. I brought you some chips," I said as I threw the chips over to her.

"Thanks, nice tie you have on," She smiled.

"I figured you were going to try that out again so I actually put one on. Can't get me now, can you?" I joked.

"Anyway. I have a question," I sighed.

"Let me guess, you want me to try and confirm the identity of the arm," She said with a smirk.

"Actually, it's about you. Who are you?" I asked.

"Gray," She answered.

"No, who are you really?" I urged.

"My life may be in danger if I tell you that," She sighed. She seemed conflicted.

"I promise I won't let any harm to you, and I will ensure your protection at any cost," I promised.

"Are you sure? Because as soon as I tell you, you can't let anyone know of my identity," Gray warned.

"I am very sure. You can trust me," I said as I reached out my hand to her.

Reluctantly she took my hand and we shook on it.