Chapter 5

UK's POV:

Every time Canada spoke, I felt a chill go down my spine. I wasn't sure why. I could trust him more than the others. Right? I knew this was it, it would be the last time I would be whole. But... Why did Canada seem sinister?

America, Australia, Canada and Samoa approached me. They stood in front of me and looked down at me. They were all so tall, even Samoa. My grandson had come such a long way, if only he had the right upbringing.

I stayed, sitting on the ground uncomfortably. I was curious as to how this would turn out. Canada undid my chains and took me to a dark room. The others followed. I didn't have a choice to fight back or not, I just had to accept. Canada turned on the lights to reveal four chains.

The four of them chained my arms and legs and held onto a chain each. Possibly, so I don't try to escape. They held it loosely, so I could still move around. This was not how I had remembered Soviet's fall, but I guess it's different for everyone.

"France! Could you come in here please?" Canada called. I felt a little excited to see my wife for the first time in a while... and the last time. Sadness washed over me as I saw her stand in front of the door. She looked so sad, her expression hurt me. She looked over at Canada as if asking for permission.

"Say your goodbyes," Canada said. It would have been nice, but his tone was still sinister.

France ran up to me and gave me the biggest hug. I could hear her sobbing loudly, over my shoulder. I hugged her back, despite the uncomfortable chains, I needed to comfort my wife.

The door slammed shut. Fear ran through my body. The others pulled the chains tighter, forcing my arms open and me to let go of France. She was still crying, but she stepped away from me.

Canada whispered something in her ear and handed her a gun. I stomach knotted. I could feel my heartbeat quicken and the colour from my flag drain away. France shook her head wildly trying to hand the gun back to Canada. I finally understood why he seemed so dark.

He was just as bad as the others and was about to prove himself worse. It was one thing to kill me himself, but to get someone else to, let alone my own wife was pure cowardice. He has become a disappointment and disgrace.

Canada pushed my wife forwards. She held the gun in her shaky hands. The gun was loaded.

"I-I I can't do this," She muttered through the tears. This was a horrible thing to do, but there was no fighting back.

"Hey, it's okay, I don't blame you for this, my love, I will miss," I smiled as best I could. I tried to walk closer but the chains restricted my movement. I could hear her breathing slow down and she shakily lifted the gun and aimed it at my head.

"I love you," I smiled.

"I love you too," France sobbed. Her finger tightened on the trigger.

Ireland's POV:

I heard everything. I was sitting outside of the door of the room and waiting for my next instructions. I must admit, I cried a little. Years and years ago, if I could have, I would have shot UK myself. But now, what Canada has done, it was worse than any war crime.

I waited for the bang of the gun to go off. I closed my eyes in respect. No one deserved this. I heard the shot. And as expected, the desperate clicking of the trigger as France tried to take her own life, only to realise there was one bullet.

I opened the door as I was commanded and tried to avoid the bloodied mess of UK. His body was shattering, it was not a pretty sight. France sat on the ground in front of him, holding the empty gun to her head and pulling the trigger, over and over again.

Her arms went limp as I picked her sad body up. She dropped the gun and started sobbing heavily. France didn't fight back. I walked out with her in my arms and took her to her chambers. I laid her down on her bed. I sat on the chair next to her.

I noticed the small specks of blood that lightly showered her face. No one deserved this. I didn't speak. I just watched over her quietly, making sure she didn't try to kill herself again.

She stared at the ceiling, widened eyes as tears rolled down her face, cleaning the speckled blood that got in its path. I looked around her room. She had a nicer chamber than mine, decorated with dying flowers and golden trinkets that looked incredibly valuable.

I stood up and wandered over to a small tray which held a small oval-shaped locket. I picked up and admired the intricate details that had been engraved in the gold. I opened the locket to see what kind of photo sat in there.

On one side of the locket sat a picture of France and UK at their wedding, dressed smartly in black and white. Their smiles were beautiful and joy shone through their eyes. I looked over at the now depressed France. No smile there, no joy. If you never knew her beforehand, you would have thought she had always been that way.

The other side of the locket held a picture of the four boys as teenagers. America and Canada, standing side by side in little suits. Australia and New Zealand sat in front of them, also in the suits. Australia had his arm around New Zealand in a protective way. They were all smiling, even if it seemed a little forced. Nowadays, The New Zealand Empire and The Australian Empire were enemies, there was no actual reason given as to why. They used to be the best of friends. So what happened?

They had all changed. All for the worst, but now that the worst was over, maybe, just maybe...

Things could get better.