Chapter 2

Ireland's POV:

Oh god! I always felt it would happen, I wouldn't dare think that Canada would do it himself. At least after tomorrow, I won't be under his control any more. But the chance that conditions will be better under another Empire is rather unlikely.

I paced the large empty room, up and down as I planned out every outcome. From what Canada had said, it seemed like my brother would stay with me. I hope so. I hope I end up under the Australian Empire. Don't trust the others. At least Australia knows me.

Living like a slave under Canadian rule is not fun. He comes across as friendly and kind compared to his brothers. But Europe all settled for it when the other Empires became merciless. We all fell for his 'protection' and now we're trapped under his maleficent thumb. Chained and commanded. We were all given rules, specific procedures to each individual country. If they spotted us breaking these 'regulations', well, what happened to Germany was not something we wished to look at again.

Canada was almost as good at playing puppeteer as North Korea once was. I never noticed how strong of a military Canada held. He threatens worse punishments, but no one wants to test how far he can go if wiping out Germany wasn't even considered a minor fight. He made sure we all learned our place.

I stopped pacing the apartment and headed back to my chambers to tidy myself up. I wasn't going to get much sleep tonight. Nothing this cursed universe could ever force my position any better. I would dare the universe to do it's worst, but I realize that will only lead to a similar situation as Germany.

In my chamber, I discovered a fresh contemporary suit, set professionally on the chair next to my bed. He truly demanded me to clean up. Last time I wore something as professional as this, I was at the end of the war, when territories were being discussed.

I got into the shower before going to bed. But, I didn't sleep, I just waited for the morning, dawning on me much quicker than I had expected.

The sunlight poured in through the window and the small bell that would wake us up every morning rang. I sat up in my bed and yawned. I gradually climbed out of bed and placed my feet upon the icy stone floor. You would think a powerful Empire would have at least enough money for carpet, but nope.

I put on the suit that was waiting for me and headed to my post. I passed the kitchen on the way to grab something quick to eat. Usually, France and Italy would make extra food to feed us before it was our turn on duty.

"Hey Italy," I murmured, sitting down on one of the stalls at the bench.

I could see him put his finger up to his mouth. He seemed frantic and afraid of something. He motioned for me to hide in the pantry. I did as he said, knowing that it would be the best plan. Italy closed the pantry doors, and I waited in silence.

Italy's POV:

I didn't know what to do at this point. Mr Canada was furious at France. I heard the shouting from the room over. France had already gotten on his nasty side. This will not turn out any better.

Ireland walked into the kitchen. I had been stressing all morning; I hadn't had time to make him breakfast. The only thing I thought of was shoving him in the pantry before Mr Canada came back.

"What's going on?" He asked.

"Um, nothing, just find something to eat in there and stay quiet," I instructed.

"Okay," Ireland responded. I let out a sigh of relief, knowing he shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Mr Canada walked back into the kitchen which France trailing behind. She didn't look seriously hurt, at least.

"What are you looking at?" Mr Canada hissed scrunching up his nose giving me one hell of a death glare.

"I, uh- It wasn't her fault! I did it, I switched the poison for the sleeping pills," I stammered.

"Did you now? Well, thank you for your honesty." Mr Canada spoke darkly. I didn't respond.

"Italy, what are you doing?" France had a small pain in her voice as she spoke.

"I should have the both of you kill him yourself, but I need you to prepare for the big lunch." He snapped. I stood there softly in fear.

"Wh-would you prefer to hear the menu?" I suggested anxiously. He gave me an evil grin before leaving the room.

"I'll take that as a no," I sighed as he slammed the door. Two seconds passed before we all felt safe to talk again.

"Italy! What the hell! You didn't do that!" France shouted. She looked like she was on the verge of crying.

"I didn't want you to get the weight of the punishment," I explained.

"Thanks, I didn't want to be the reason the UK died," She mumbled.

"What just happened?" Ireland asked from the pantry. France looked at me, confused. I opened the pantry and let Ireland out.

"How long has he been in there?" France asked.

"How long does it take to finish three bags of potato chips?" Ireland joked.

"You seem a little cheerful despite the day's events," I remarked.

"Not really, the humour gets me through all kinds of sh!t," He countered.

"Fair enough," I shrugged.

"I heard Mr Canada is well... removing you too," France said.

"I figured... that's why he made me wear this." Ireland sighed, as he put his left leg forward and twisted his hips a little to show off his suit they dressed him in.

"Heh, well good luck, if you can send us a postcard, please do," I smiled.

"We'll see," He laughed.

"We had better get back work," I sighed, looking over at the extensive list of food sitting on the wall.

"Here, take this," France said, throwing Ireland a pre-wrapped sandwich.

"Thanks, I'll let you guys work," Ireland said before leaving the kitchen.

I walked back over to the pantry and pulled out some ingredients.

"I see you put pasta on the top of the menu," France inquired.

"Well, you can't feed them with bread alone," I refuted.