Chapter 25: Why her?

You let out a yawn as you read through the paperwork. You were waiting for Daki to come in with your sweets but... The door slammed open, revealing an out of breath Daki. "Duchess...!" She spoke out, you raised an eyebrow. "What is it? Whats the rush?" You asked, confused. 

"Theres... A letter... An invitation..." She replied while catching her breath, "Its from Duchess Ivona." She added, "Duchess Ivona? The one thats well liked by the public? Why would she send an invitation?" You asked, while taking the letter from her hands. "I don't have an idea as to why but... You should be wary of her." Daki warned you. 

"She was Muzan's lover, a few months before you both got married." She added, "So she was one of those aggressive women huh..." you mumbled, You let out a chuckle. "She's probably wondering what kind of person I am. Well, either way, I don't want to entertain sucha two faced woman. Reject the invitation." You told Daki, her eyes widen, "You seem to be calm, even after hearing that she was Muzan's past lover." She says. 

"Well... She's not worth my time, if she wants to know what kind of person I am, she should be the one coming to me. Besides, I trust Muzan, we both love each other, he won't even bother taking a time off his day to see her. I know and trust he wont cheat on me just like my past lover did. Also, we're married, I'm his wife, he's my husband." You told her. She only let out a chuckle, "I'm glad that both of you trust each other." She commented, "I'll be sure to reject the invitation Duchess." Daki added, you nodded and mumbled a thank you, while sipping your cup of tea. 

-Meanwhile-

Ivona crushed the paper on her hands, trembling in anger and disbelief. "That bitch...! Had the absolute audacity... To reject me? I'm perfect! I'm loved by many! I even help the... poor! She should be jealous of me!" She spoke out, angrily. She huffed and soon a thought came into her mind, "Maybe... Maybe she thought she wasn't qualified enough to meet me! Yes! Thats the only logical reason she would reject me! Tsk... Such a pathetic being is nothing but mere dirt on my heels. Why would he marry her...?" She says, reassuring her fragile ego and mumbled the last sentence. 

"Tsk I could care less..." She added, "Roxana! Get a carriage ready!"She commanded as her maid nods and leaves to get a carriage. 

-Back To You- 

You grumbled, you couldn't find anything that looked good on you, "Duchess, how about this one?" Daki suggests while showing a light red dress, "Hmm... Maybe I'll try that out..." You commented, why were you shopping for dresses? Well...

-Flashback-

"There's nothing good... I've already worn these dresses a lot of times..." You mumbled, looking at your wardrobe, picking a dress you would wear to stroll around town. "Perhaps its time to spend the allowance that the Duke gave you to the tailor's shop." Daki suggested. 

"Hmm... You're right, perhaps it really is the time to upgrade my wardrobe." You agreed while staring at a few of your dresses.

-Flashback End-

Both of you had been here for an hour and still couldn't find something that suited you. This was starting to frustrate you. "Maybe I should just try this one..." You mumbled, and soon your peace was disrupted by someone. 

"Oh my! If it isn't Duchess Kibutsuji. What a coincidence to have bumped into you." A woman spoke out, you turned to the person who called you, it was Ivona. "I thought you were busy... Thats why you had rejected my invitation but to think that you're actually just strolling around town..." She lets out a small chuckle. 

You raised an eyebrow, "I'm sorry but who are you?"  

Her eyes widen, "You- You don't recognize me? I'm Duchess Hermaine, I'm sure you've read the invitation I send under the name Duchess Ivona." She replied, "Oh... you're the noble that does charity work. Well, I have to say that I'm thankful for your kind gesture." She lets out a chuckle, "Of course, you might've not recognized me, but I'm sure your husband has told you things about me, we were lovers before afterall." She lets out a smirk, purposely getting under your skin, 

"Oh really? But I never heard a thing about you from him. Perhaps he never really loved you... Oh my, was it just a one sided love?" You asked, you weren't going down without a fight.