Chapter 17: Know your Place.

Their eyes soon widen, "What? Why have you all gone quiet? Now tell me, who dares slander the Duchess?" Muzan asked again in a dangerous tone.

"D-Duke, You've got it all wrong, we were just telling the Duchess that she her gift was-" Tabitha was cut off by you suddenly fake crying. Tabitha quickly turned white.

You quickly took advantage of Muzan being here, "Oh husband... They were all cornering me, I only gave her a necklace that I thought would suit her... If you were displeased by my gift you could've simply told me privately... But here you are embarrassing me infront of everybody." You sniffled.

Tabitha trembled in anger, oh how the tables have turned. He glared at the three, "The Duchess even cleared her schedule just to attend here and this is the thanks she gets?" He says.

"Duke, we're just telling her that its disrespectful of her to come here, She wasn't even invited-"  You cut off your father, "Father... How could you lie like that?? I was so excited to congratulate you both... If I wasn't invited, then what's this?" You replied while grabbing the invitation from your small purse.

Your father stood there in shock, "We both have the title of the duke but have you lost your respect? She's my wife, The Duchess-" Muzan was cut off by Adam. "Duke! We never meant to invite her, can't you see that her gift has a double meaning!?" Adam says.

Muzan glares at him, "Watch your mouth, She's a Duchess while your the son of a mere Baron. We're in a higher position than you, Know your place." Adam shivered at the last words Muzan told him.

People started whispering, agreeing that what Tabitha and Adam did was too much, people sure are quick to change sides. It disgusted you, which is why you never attented parties much, one wrong move and people will act like predators.

"That's enough Muzan, Let's just leave... We're not wanted here." You sniffled, and glanced at the crowd, you saw a journalist, it seems like he came her to interview the couple. You knew the journalist would use this for the news headlines tomorrow.

As both of you started walking out, you glanced at Tabitha and smirked, she was trembling with anger, Daki followed behind you both. This, was supposed to be Tabitha's time to shine! But this party was a battlefield, a fight on how you'll be able to capture the public...

Muzan wrapped an arm around your waist. He got closer to your ear, "I didn't know you could act, I almost believed it." He purred. Your eyes widen, you tried to keep your composure, but this man always knows how to knock you off guard.

-Time Skip-

After Muzan saw through your act, you we're embarrased to see him again, but now that was the least of your concern, today was the day the newspaper got out, and guess what? What happened last time was on the headlines.

You took a sip of your tea while reading the newspaper. "Engaged couple tried to humiliate the Duchess at the Duke.... They could've made a better title." You chuckled and took a sip of your tea.

"Would you like a refill Y/n?" Tanjirou asks, You nodded "Thank you Tanjirou." You replied as he pours tea in your cup. He places the teapot down the table and lets out a deep sigh. "What's wrong?" You asked.

"I... I don't know how to say it, You'd probably surprised, disapointed or sad." He replied, you were confused, "What?? It's not like you'll kill anyone or retire." You replied with a slight chuckle.

"Actually Y/n... I'm thinking of retiring." He says while looking down, Your eyes widen in shock and the tea cup slipped away from your fingers, causing it to fall on the floor and break.

I forgot to at a photo 👁👄👁 if I forgot it in the nexy chapter, please to tell me.