one

Zayn and Harry were walking side by side on the sidewalk that lined the beautiful beach. It was a hot day and they'd just left the ice cream shop where Zayn and Harry always went together since the day they became friends.

"I know it's been about six months since... you know," Harry said looking at the ice cream cone in his hand. "But it's still hard to get used to, Zayn. It's hard walking with you, looking over at you and seeing you... and seeing you with no tattoos, a pink purse and wearing matching pink flats."

Zayn chuckled and looked down pass her blue sundress, which was patterned with yellow dots. "I'm sorry Harry. But there's nothing I can do. You know that."

"I know. It's permanent..." He sighed.

She used her spoon to eat a scoop of Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream from the cup she had and then looked up at him. "Are you angry at me Hazza?"

Harry licked his ice cream cone. "No I'm not angry at you. It's not like you knew that fairy lady, or whatever her name is, was gonna come and change you. It's just... I miss playing football and stuff with you when we're not working. Like, a lot."

"Well I'm sorry. I don't care for playing football much anymore."

Harry shrugged his shoulders in defeat. "I don't understand. You used to love football. Now... the fact that that fairy changed you and made you different, it makes me feel so left out. Granted, you're pretty and all. But I wish you were Zayn Malik again. Not Veronica Malik. Veronica isn't the same."

Zayn stopped in her tracks. "I can't believe you just stood there and lied then."

Harry stopped too and turned around to face her. "What are you talking about? That wasn't a lie. I do miss when you were Zayn Malik. "

"That's not what I'm talking about." She said. "I just asked you if you were angry at me and you said 'no'. You lied."

"Zayn I didn't... I didn't lie."

"Then why do you keep talking about what I used to be then? I'm sick of hearing that!" Zayn's voice sounded very irritated.

"It was just a thought Z, I meant nothing by it."

"Well, you seem to always have a thought, then don't you? You don't think I hate that I'm different now?! You don't think I regret every word I said that day and how it changed me or our friendship?!"

"I never said that."

"Well let me tell you something Harry. Get used to it! Either that or... Or we're not friends anymore!"

"Okay, shh Zayn. I get it. Now, please stop yelling. You're drawing negative attention to yourself."

"Oh, am I? Are you sure you're only worried about me drawing negative attention to myself or do you just want me to stop embarrassing you by telling everyone your best friend used to be a guy?"

Harry was lost for words and didn't know what to say. He couldn't believe Zayn said that in front of the few strangers that were beginning to look on.

Zayn huffed and walked over to a nearby trashcan, throwing her cup of ice cream away. "You can finish your ice cream if you want to. But I'll be in the truck waiting for you."

"Veronica! Wait!" He called out, being sure to use the name the fairy had given her for the public.

"No Harry." she said. "I don't want to talk to you right now." And she never turned around to look at him either.

*

*

*

Harry didn't finish his ice cream without her. Instead, he tossed his in the trash as well and he took her home to her two bedroom condo without another word. Zayn really did appreciate it, seeing as she was tired from being in the sun and she didn't feel like being bothered with him. But she was was upset. And giving him the silent treatment was her way of showing how upset she really was.