twenty one

Harry had seen different sides of Liam. He'd seen his playful side, his annoying one, his disrespectful one, his caring one... He'd seen multiple phases of him many times. But none of them included any like this one because he'd had never seen him so brokenhearted before in his life. He was obviously hurting from what had happened and even after Harry had taken him home and gotten ready for bed that night, he couldn't get the image of him breaking down on his chest out of his head. Zayn could see it in his face.

"Are you okay?" She whispered after she'd sat up on her elbow, looking over at him.

He shook his head. "No, Z. I'm not. He's been doing so well. He's been getting better everyday and now this... I hope he doesn't let it affect him."

"Maybe he won't. Not all kids let outside stuff affect their school performance."

"But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about later in his life. Look, I know what it's like to know your father and then suddenly feel like you don't know him at all. It's not easy. But it's even harder for him because he already resents him. I just don't want him to end up hating him or holding some grudge that he'll regret later after his father dies."

"You sound like a parent and I don't like it because we don't have kids."

"I'm sorry. I don't mean to. It's just such a shame that he has to go through that at that age. It's like looking in the mirror."

She scooted closer to him and rested the palm of her hand on his chest. "Well, you want to know what I think?"

"What?"

"I think you should get some sleep tonight and try not to let it keep you up."

"I don't have important things to do tomorrow. I might as well let it keep me up."

"No you have to take me to work, remember? And I need you well rested if you're going to be driving me. Plus you can't change what happened. You can only help him through it. And sulking in bed is not how you help him. You know that."

He faced her and let a small smile appear. "I love it when you make more sense than me. Gives me a good reason to keep you around."

She scoffed as he reached back to turn the light off. "No, you want me around."

"Duh, of course I do. So I can do this." After scooting closer, he slipped his hand under the covers to pull one of her legs over his. Then he rolled over on top of her, ignoring the little fussing noise she made and he faced her even though he couldn't see her. "Tell me. Vacation was amazing, wasn't it?"

"Yeah. It was. I really didn't want to leave."

"Me either. And I'm glad you agreed to go. Everything's better with you."

"Everything better be better with me. You have my virginity."

Harry chuckled. "I do, don't I? Guess that means you definitely can't go anywhere now. You're mine forever doll face."

"Oh, that's a horrible nickname. Don't call me that."

"Why not?"

"Because it sounds so old fashioned. Like we're in a nineteen fifties movie or something."

"So should I touch you all over instead?"

"Not tonight." And she popped his hand as he started to push it under the T-shirt she'd put back on. "You should go to sleep and let me do the same. I have to get up in the morning."

"We'll pick this up tomorrow night then?"

"Maybe."

He hummed before quickly bending down to kiss her, only to catch the side of her mouth. Then he plopped down beside her again and turned away from her, taking most of the covers in the process so that she only had parts of it. She huddled behind him and kissed his shoulder in a warm and tender way. "Goodnight Hazza. Try not to think so hard tonight."