nineteen

This was the worse Christmas ever.

Over half the day had gone by and Zayn still wasn't talking to him. Harry hadn't believed it was possible for a woman to be mad at the one they really liked for so long, but this period of resentment was starting to wear him down. When was it going to end?

They were supposed to get a good night's sleep last night and wake up to a box full of presents from her family and each other. Then they were supposed to spend the evening making appetizers and use the rest of the night to eat what they made while they drank wine and cuddled on the couch in front of a good movie. Those were their plans.

However, despite that both parties slept in the same bed last night, they struggled to sleep through the night and when they woke up, they opened their presents quietly and separately. Instead of making appetizers, they spent the evening in separate rooms. Harry stayed in the living room and Zayn stayed in the bedroom, only coming out to feed the dog and take him out to empty his bladder. A couple times, Harry could faintly hear her crying from the living room, to which both times he'd gotten up to see what was wrong. But that just resulted in screams to "get out!" And "Leave me alone!" So he didn't try that anymore.

He was lounging around on the couch sometime after nightfall and his mind was drifting in different sorts of directions but it was always centered around Zayn. Where did he and Zayn currently stand when it came to their relationship? Just how angry was she? What was on his girl's mind? He spent so much of the day being troubled by thoughts of Zayn that when he heard a phone ring on TV, he jumped up and looked toward the hallway, thinking it was her.

He was hurt when he realized it wasn't but he was glad for it too because it was a reminder to him that he had a promise to keep. So he picked his phone up from the little side table next to him and dialed a number.

"Thank goodness, honey. I thought you wouldn't remember to call." His mother said as soon as she answered the phone.

"Of course I remembered. It's Christmas and I promised I would."

"Well, we've all already sat down and we're about to eat. Let me put you on speakerphone for everyone else."

He heard some rustling and then his mother spoke again. "Okay. Everybody can hear you now."

"Everybody? Who all is there?"

"Robin, Gemma and I."

"Oh, so no surprise guests this year?"

"No. It's just us. I wanted the whole family to be here this year so that it would be four of us around the table. But three will have to do since you decided to run off with Veronica."

Harry rolled his eyes and lay his head against the back of the couch. "Robin, please tell mum to stop trying to make me feel guilty on Christmas. This isn't fair."

"I don't think she'd love me very much after that." He joked and he heard Gemma laughing in the background.

"She used to do this to us all the time when we were young, Harry. You know this. Just ignore her."

"No Harry. Do not ignore me. I want to know how your vacation is going. Is it going well? How's Veronica?"

Harry sighed. "We're fine... I guess."

"Are you sure?"

"Uh... Yeah... I think so."

"How's your Christmas dinner?"

He glanced at a box of crackers that he had been snacking on all day. "I ate light."

"On Christmas?!"