thirty nine

Harry was in the kitchen about to make dinner the next night, when Yvette called his phone. He was skeptical about talking to her. But he also didn't want to ignore her either. So he answered it. "Hello."

"Hi, baby."

"What's up?"

"I was just calling to see how you were."

"I'm fine, you?"

"I'm okay."

"Good."

The line was quiet. "So what are you doing?"

"Preparing dinner. I had a taste for steak tonight." He placed a packaged T-bone steak on the counter that he'd taken out of the refrigerator.

"Ah, yes. You do make the best steaks. Actually, you make the best food, period. If you hadn't gone to school for Psychology, you could have always gone to culinary school."

Harry smiled. "True. I'd have my own restaurant by now, Yve."

"Yes. You probably would. I'd support you in that. Chef Harry doesn't sound too bad."

"No, it doesn't. So what are you up to?"

"Nothing. I'm mostly just making sure I have everything packed and ready to go tomorrow."

"Oh, nice. Don't want to leave anything."

"Nope. Definitely wouldn't want to do that..."

He heard her sigh on the other end of the phone. "What's wrong?"

She hesitated. "I have a confession to make."

"What?"

"I didn't just call to see how you were."

"Okay..."

Now her hesitation was even longer. Too long.

"Why did you call then?"

"Because... You don't talk to me anymore. I thought that five months should make things better, but I feel like I know as much about you as I knew when we first met, if not less. You don't tell me anything and you do your best to avoid serious conversation. I don't like the feeling of being shut out."

"I'm not trying to shut you out or else I wouldn't have answered the phone."

"And I'm glad you did answer it. Because I have something I want to say."

"Okay."

"On Sunday when you came home, I was too tired and too busy crying to mention anything directly to you. But you smelled just like him. Your clothes. You. You stayed with Zayn, didn't you?"

Harry cursed under his breath, knowing it was because he wasn't able to take a shower before she ran up to him and started scolding him. He was hoping to sneak in and do that, but it didn't work out that way. "What?"

"Harry, the worse thing you can do is try to make me look stupid. You were there, weren't you?"

He gulped. "Yeah, I was there and I got carried away. So I just ended up sleeping there. It was no big deal."

"No big deal? So you don't think its a big deal to have your girlfriend staying in your house while you go stay with someone else? That's terrible!"

"Listen. I didn't know I was going to stay. I just went over there for a break. That's it."

The line was quiet. "You went over there for a what?"

"Nothing."

"You went over there for a break.... From me?"

"Yvette..."