nine

"Veronica..." Lara called from beside her. "Veronica!"

"Hm?"

"Where is your mind today? You've been staring into space all day. Usually I'd be okay with it but not while I'm talking." She joked.

"Oh, I'm sorry." She looked down at the strawberry yogurt cup in her hand. She was hungry but right now she couldn't bring herself to want to eat it. "Just thinking."

"About who?"

"What do you mean?"

"You've been smiling to yourself and you've been checking your phone every 15 minutes. Who is he? Did you sleep with him? Was the sex good? Tell me."

"No. Stop it. It's not that."

"So it's not about a guy?" Natalie finally chimed in.

"Well yeah but..." She wasn't sure if she wanted to say just yet. "It's complicated... Like, really, really, really complicated and I don't know if he hasn't said anything because he's busy or if it's because he feels weird about it. He's not just any guy, so I understand if he feels weird."

Natalie's eyes lit up. "Oh my gosh. This is about Harry. What did you two do?"

Zayn froze. "How'd you guess that?"

"You said he's not just any guy. That kind of gave it away."

"Oh."

"So how was it? Is he any good?" Lara asked.

"Whoa, stop right there. I haven't slept with Harry. We just kissed. That's all." She shrugged for affect.

"Well, is he any good at that?" Lara questioned.

"He's amazing. But now I wonder how he got so much practice. How many girls has he been with before me..."

Natalie reached across the table and popped her hand.

"Ouch! What was that for?"

"That's a no, no. Never ask a man who his past girlfriends are. They are called his past girlfriends for a reason."

"Relax. I wasn't gonna ask him that. Plus I already know he hasn't had a girlfriend in years. I was thinking along the lines of one night stands because he didn't always share that with me."

Natalie shrugged. "Well consider that your warning just in case you get any ideas in the future."

Zayn frowned but was redirected by Lara's next question.

"Okay, so was it magical?"

"More than magical. He took me out for ice cream at the beach late last night and kissed me by the shore."

"Did he really, or are you joking?" Natalie asked with a raised an eyebrow.

"No, he really did. We snuck down by the big rocks where no one could see us, since no one is allowed there at night. He was sweet. He kissed me once and I was okay with it, so we kissed again." She smiled and unnecessarily stirred her yogurt with her spoon. "And then we kissed again and again and I just soaked it all up. Felt like we kissed for hours but it was probably only like five minutes."

"So I don't get it." Natalie chuckled. "Why is that so complicated? Other than you being best friends, I mean. Because you look happy."

Zayn sighed. "I am happy. Sort of. The reason it's complicated is because when we left the beach last night, he took me back to his house so I could get my car and go home. But we didn't really speak on it at all. And now today, he hasn't called me or texted me or anything. That's why I've been checking my phone all day. I was expecting something, you know. And I still am."