thirty eight

Harry sat in his office on Monday with his index finger and thumb across his chin and he was staring into space. He couldn't stop thinking about how terrible the weekend had gone. Aside from his kiss with Zayn, that is.

After his talk with Yvette when they were on their way home that night, he did have this sneaky suspicion that Zayn may have felt something for him. After they held hands and walked the boardwalk, he knew he felt something for him. But after the kiss, it was confirmed. And to Harry, confirming it turned out to be the worst thing that could have ever happened.

When Harry went for his second kiss with Zayn, it ended up lasting longer than he thought it would. There was just endless kisses and he never felt more alive or more satisfied with being this close to his best friend. One thing that blew his mind was the way Zayn kissed him. Because he didn't kiss him like he was a bit afraid, or like he was being cautious about finding out what Harry liked. He kissed him like he'd been doing it for months. And somehow this man hit everything spot on, as if he already knew how Harry liked to be kissed.

Apparently Zayn put such an impression on him and captured his attention so much, that Harry didn't even want to go home. So he ended up staying there with Zayn, eating dinner with him and sleeping in his bed. He completely forgot he had someone waiting at home for him.

When he woke up on Sunday morning and checked his phone, he had six missed calls and three voice mails from Yvette. They were three very panicky voice mails. When he heard them, he felt so terrible and he hopped in his truck and rushed home. He knew that Zayn would probably be somewhat disappointed when he finally awakened and realized that he wasn't there. But right now Yvette, who as still his girlfriend, was most important.

He would never forget when he opened the door and came into the house to find Yvette looking drained and awful.

"Where have you been?! She had screamed at him through heavy tears and she ran up to him. He didn't get angry. Nor did he tell her where he went. "You didn't answer my calls or return them! I thought something horrible happened to you! Don't do that to me, Harry!"

He felt so terrible, as he watched her scream some other things at him and she even punched at his chest three times. But then after she finished screaming, she kissed him so passionately. And he kissed back feeling a bit of relief that he was doing the right thing for a change.

When they were done, he led her upstairs and they laid down for a nap. He didn't go to sleep since he hadn't too long awakened but Yvette didn't sleep at all during the night-- more like didn't even attempt to lie down in the bed without knowing Harry was okay-- and he figured she would sleep better knowing he was there by her side. He was right. She fell asleep in a matter of seconds.

He stayed up just thinking about everything. He stayed up thinking of all the things Zayn had told him and wondered how true they were. Even though Zayn never went into details and told him exactly what she said, he didn't want to say he was lying, especially after seeing that she called him. But he also couldn't fathom his sweet girlfriend ever saying 'horrible' things to his best friend. That just didn't seem possible.

Now that today was Monday, he was still thinking about all those things. He hadn't spoken to Zayn since they went to bed together on Saturday and he hadn't seen him since he woke up on Sunday morning. But he was dying to talk to him. He wanted to know what Zayn was thinking.

He knew that Zayn was at work and probably couldn't get to his phone right now. But he still sent him a text.

Hey, are you on your lunch break yet?

He waited and ten minutes later, he got a reply.

Yes, I just got on it. Why?

Harry didn't waste any time replying.