twenty nine

Harry was struggling to keep up with Zayn as she ran down the hallway of the hospital. He hadn't seen her run that fast since those days when they played football and even then, he was always faster than Zayn. But right now, she was moving so quickly, Harry was already tired and he just wanted to get to the waiting room where her family was, so that he could catch his breath.

After rounding a couple corners and bursting through a set of double doors, they finally reached the waiting room. She saw Patrica and Safaa at the same time they saw her, and she just stopped in her tracks, not wanting to go any further until she knew what the results were. "Did he... did he make it?" She asked and she was telling herself that he did so that she could concentrate enough to get the truthful answer. But then Patricia slowly stood up and shook her head in her direction and Zayn knew. She knew that there was no more daddy.

Immediately, Zayn just dropped down in the middle of the floor. And at first, Harry thought she was passing out, so he tried to catch her. But he realized she wasn't passing out at all. The shock of the news just made her knees weak and she felt like she couldn't even stand anymore. As if the news itself wasn't already gut wrenching, the sight of his girlfriend completely in pieces, made it even worse.

Before they knew it, they were all sitting in the middle of the floor crying and holding each other. "Your sisters are on their way." Patricia told her. "I haven't told them yet because I need for them to get here safe and not be distracted. Like I did you."

Zayn wiped her eyes as she sniffled. "So he was already dead when you called me?"

Patricia nodded and she started to get even more hysterical. "What happened mum?! How bad was it?!" Harry rubbed her back comfortingly.

"I don't want to say anything that will rile you up anymore. It's hard enough losing him, Veronica. Don't you want to wait?"

"No!" Zayn was yelling. "No! I want to know. Tell me! It's my father and I deserve to know! You can't do that!" This time she cried even harder and leaned onto Harry's shoulder.

Patricia couldn't take seeing her daughter so distraught and confused like that, so she brought herself to tell her what happened anyway. "Safaa and I were trailing your father home on the highway. There was an eighteen wheeler in the far lane and we were starting to pass it. But the eighteen wheeler started to get over on us and I hit the breaks real hard, so that he wouldn't run us over. I guess Yaser didn't see him coming over on him, so he didn't try to move out of the way."

Safaa made a whining noise and Harry knew that she was reliving everything she saw all over again. So he pulled her over on him too.

"There were guardrails on the side of the highway because there was an embankment. So when the truck got over on him, it smashed him between the guardrails and the truck. The truckdriver must've realized he hit someone, because he swerved into his own lane again and started to slow down. But it was too late. Your father's car was already out of control. Somehow it flipped over the guardrails and rolled down the embankment. When I stopped the car and got out, it was too late then. He was already gone."

Zayn's stomach just tightened up in knots and she couldn't stop the tears from flowing. Nothing was comforting right now. Not Harry, not her own thoughts, not the fact that her father's death was instant, nothing. And she just wanted to be alone. "I'll be back." She said as she stood up.

"Want me to come with you?" Harry asked.

"No. I need to be by myself."

She didn't even look back at him and he wasn't sure where she was going but he stayed there holding her mother and her sister. He tried to stay strong for them, knowing they would need it considering they'd just lost someone close to their heart. But he could not compose himself either and he ended up crying right along with them.