forty eight

It was Monday afternoon. Zayn was sitting in her office typing something on the computer when her phone rang. She stopped and picked it up and was surprised by the name on her screen. Safaa was calling. She hurriedly answered it.

"Hello?"

A voice spoke low into the phone. "Um, hey, Veronica... um."

"How are you?" She asked. She wondered if Safaa was still mad, considering it had been a week and three days since their argument.

"I'm fine. I was calling because you told me that I had to tell daddy about Kyle by this past weekend or you would. I though it would be better to tell him myself and save myself the trouble. So I told him yesterday."

Zayn smiled. "And what happened?"

It took Safaa a while to answer because it was almost like she was carefully thinking of every word to say. "He knew."

"Knew what?"

"He already knew about Kyle before I even told him. He said he knew before Christmas. That's six months. He's known for a whole half of a year."

Zayn chuckled. "And he didn't make you two break up after all, did he?"

Safaa took even longer to answer. "You knew that he knew?"

"Yes. He told me he did right before his accident."

"So only you and daddy knew then."

"Yep."

"Well mum knows now." Safaa laughed into the phone. "Apparently there are a lot of things daddy doesn't tell her. It's quite funny how upset she got when she realized she was being kept out of the loop for six months. I wish you had been there."

Zayn furrowed her brow and crossed her legs. "Really? Are you sure you don't hate me or that you don't ever want to see me again?"

The line was quiet. "Well... about that. My main reason for calling was to apologize. I wanted to do it yesterday but I needed time to work up the courage."

Zayn heard her sigh into the phone.

"I'm sorry for the way I treated you the other day. I was wrong and I want you to know that I don't hate you. Even if Daddy hadn't already known about it and even if he would have made us break up, I still would never hate you. You're my sister. And I hope that you accept my apology."

Zayn smiled. "Of course I accept your apoplogy. I knew you didn't mean that anyway. However, I want you to know that those three words are something you should try not to use. Especially when it comes to your sisters or our parents. I'm not saying you have ever said it to them too, but I don't want you to be liberal with that phrase and just use it on a whim just because you are angry. Remember you can always choose your friends. But you can never choose your family. We will always be there and try to do what's best for you and it will never be anything short of it. Okay?"

"Yeah. Okay. Um, thanks, Veronica. You know, I don't really have Wahliya and Doniya to talk to when I need it since they clearly live busier and more complicated lives far away from here. But I am so glad you decided to come back around again. At first I thought that you and I would never be as close as we used to be since you stopped coming around when I was thirteen. But it's nice to know that I was wrong. It's nice to have a sister that I feel like I can tell everything to. I just want you to know that I love you and that I don't care what you've done in the past. I could never ask for a better sister than you've been."

Zayn didn't want to, but she teared up a little and was so glad that Safaa couldn't see her. "Wow that's... That's really sweet of you Safaa. I love you too. And I'm glad I came back around as well. I definitely didn't want to miss seeing such a pretty girl finish growing up."