forty nine

It was a warm night and all three of them meaning Liam, Karen and Harry, were all sitting in Karen's backyard around the campfire where they were roasting marshmallows for smores. They were on the ground and sitting on blankets.

"I think a vacation will do us some good." Liam was saying. "Mostly for mum though because I really think she needs to get out of the house for more than just work and errands."

"Where are you wanting to go?" Harry asked.

"I'm not sure. But wherever it is, we should stay an entire week. I think she'll feel so much better when we come back."

Karen smiled. "A vacation does sound nice. I'd love to get away. But I'm not really sure if we'll have the funds for leaving a whole week. We'd have to save up a lot of money."

"I know that. But I'm going to get a job and start saving up. So it's all good. I really want you to be as happy as you used to be. We were doing fine until Dad decided to go and fuck everything up."

She cleared her throat and gave him a forbidding look.

"Sorry." He mumbled.

"I am fine, Liam. I don't need a vacation to be happy. I have you here to make me feel better and that's enough. Because you're my favorite boy."

"I'm your only boy."

"Therefore, you can have no doubts that you're my favorite."

He smiled and Harry sat quietly as he smashed a hot marshmallow between two crackers and a piece of chocolate. It was so nice being able to see the way Liam reacted with his mom here in such a informal setting again. It had been a while.

"Hey Harry." Liam said as Harry was taking a bit of his smore. "I haven't seen your fiancée in a little while. How is she? Is she still as hot as ever?"

"Liam!" Karen scolded.

"What? I was joking mum. Relax."

Harry frowned but waited until he swallowed his bite. "Veronica is fine. She wanted to come tonight since she hadn't seen you two in a while but I told her a little bit too late. She'd already made plans to stay the night over one of her friends' house. Something about spending the evening looking at wedding dresses and stuff so she can go try them on."

"Oh shucks." Karen giggled. "She's ready to tie the knot very soon, I imagine."

"In four months." He nodded.

"Sounds about right and reasonable enough. The girl is too very much in love to wait any longer."

Liam hummed. "As a side thought from me to you... There is a reason they call it tying the knot. It means you're in the process of being tied down and you won't have any freedom. Don't do it. Not yet."

Karen huffed. "I wish you would stop it. Whether you are joking or not, I don't want you to discourage him by planting ideas in his head. If he wants to be married, let him. I personally think it's a wonderful decision and I can't be any more happier."

"Thank you, Karen. I don't think Liam's intentions were to actually try to discourage me but even still, his jokes won't have an impact or change my mind either. I don't think anything could."

"Ugh." Liam said sticking his tongue out in disapproval. "Being lovesick is disgusting."

"You'll have your chance soon." Harry mumbled. "Give it a couple years when you're twenty years old. Then we'll have a real discussion about how not-so-disgusting being in love really is."

Liam leaned back on his hands and looked up at the sky. He didn't say anything, but Harry knew he was thinking about it and that he was probably wondering who'd be the person he eventually wanted to settle down with.