thirty five

Harry was in his office dusting off his bookshelf, when he heard a light knock at the door. "Liam, I just finished seeing you. What do you want now?"

"I look like Liam to you? Good to know."

When Harry heard the voice, he whipped his head around and faced the doorway with his mouth slightly parted. Zayn was standing there smiling and he was holding a pizza box in his hands. There was a white plastic bag on top of it. "Wow. This is a surprise. What are... what are you doing here?"

"Well..." He held the box out further. "I thought it was obvious."

Harry smiled nervously. "Uh- Come on in, then. You can sit that on the desk. I'm just finishing up this bookshelf. I haven't actually cleaned this office since I came back to work in the summer."

"Whoa. That's been what, seven months?"

"Something like that." He turned back toward the bookshelf and he realized he still had not stopped smiling. His heart was beating awfully fast too.

"You've had this job for two years now and this is the first time I've been up here to see you. I feel like such a slacker."

"You are a slacker." Harry teased and by the time he looked at Zayn again, he saw he had sat the pizza and bag down and was sitting down in his office chair.

"Wow, you have a picture of me on your office desk. I'm actually flattered by this, Harry. Especially, since I look this good."

Harry ignored him. "What made you decide to visit me and what made you decide to bring pizza with you?"

Zayn shrugged, then leaned back in the chair, picking up Harry's nameplate from his desk. "Cause I wanted to. And pizza is always better than bringing your own lunch from home."

"And who told you you could sit in my chair?"

"I did. But I mean... if you want it back, you could always come over here and make me get out of it, Mr. Harry Styles."

Harry wanted to say something to him and maybe joke in return, but for some reason, the way Zayn had said his name made him think that Zayn wasn't just joking about his nameplate. It seemed more like he really wanted that to happen. He turned around and faced the bookshelf again, mindlessly wiping at it now. A few of Yvette's words come back to mind.

"Have you eaten lunch?"

"No, I haven't been in the teacher's lounge yet."

Zayn frowned. "Clearly, if you have time to dust, you have time to eat. Am I right?"

"I guess."

"So stop and eat. Because I have here in this box, our favorite four cheese pizza."

Harry stopped dusting and looked in his direction. "Mmm. Is today a special occasion?"

"Yes. It is as a matter of fact. I got the call I've been waiting for this morning. My background check was spotless and now I'm officially hired. You are no longer looking at a record salesman, but a teacher's assistant."

Harry lit up instantly. "That's great, Zayn. I knew you would be fine. I had no doubt, ever." He slowly made his way over to him and stood in front of his desk. "Although it still puzzles me, that you chose kids. It's like a new Zayn went to sleep and suddenly woke up last week."

"Do you like him?" Zayn questioned as he set the name plate back on the desk.

"I... I love him."

That really put a smile on his face. "Good then."

Harry couldn't keep his eyes off Zayn now and he watched him stand up out of his chair.

"Here. You can have your chair back now. There are sanitizing wipes in that white plastic bag for you to wipe your hands with."