fifteen

Everything was set out wonderfully in front of them and Karen was very excited to see her guests. It was almost time to dig into the food now and all was done, except one thing.

"Before we eat, every year we like to go around the table and tell everyone a few things we're thankful for. So I'll go first, just to show you how we do it. Then Liam will go and you two will go." She cleared her throat. "I'm thankful for all this food we're about to eat. I'm thankful for the life I get to live and I'm extremely thankful for my only son Liam because without him, I wouldn't make it through most days. I love you so much Liam."

Liam grinned as he started to speak next. "I love you too and I'm also thankful for you because you take good care of me and haven't left me like dad. I'm thankful for the food and I'm thankful for Harry too, because he's an okay guy and he's helping me out so..."

Harry smiled over at him. He wasn't expecting those words to come from him.

"Uhm..." Zayn started. "I'm definitely thankful for the food because you really didn't have to invite us in your home Karen. I'm also thankful for my friends and my family because they've always looked out for me. And I'm thankful for the life I get to live even when it gets scary sometimes... Yeah."

Harry nodded. "Well... I realize I'm just piggybacking, but I'm thankful for the food too. I'm also thankful for my family and my friends, and having a job where I can help people. But most of all I'm thankful for this beautiful woman beside me. Because she's special to me, and a great friend. I'm lucky to have her."

"Aww Hawwy..." Liam teased.

"That's sweet." Karen commented. "And what a perfect way to start dinner. Let's dig in."

After that, hands started reaching and grabbing at tongs and utensils and before they knew it, everyone was sitting with a plate full of food and eating. All the conversation they had shared beforehand ceased for the moment and everyone was busy stuffing their faces. But Liam decided he wanted to say something, therefore breaking the silence.

"I told my mum about Sophia, Harry."

Harry stopped eating when he heard the girl's name. "What about her?"

"That she's nice and I like her."

"And you want to know what I told him in return?" His mother asked.

"What?"

"That he's got to get his act together if he wants to even think about a girlfriend. Girls don't automatically gravitate to bad boys. That's just a plotline that should be left off to the fictional concept of life and imagination."

"Sometimes they do." Liam mumbled.

"But most times they don't. Now eat."

He used his fork to stab food but didn't eat. "Harry, you think Sophia would like me back, right?"

"Of course. But I really think you should listen to your mother. Usually parents know best."

Karen gave him an I told you so look and Liam playfully licked his tongue at her, making everyone else at the table laugh under their breath.

"Mr. Styles, I couldn't help but notice in these past three months that you are doing a very good job with Liam. It hasn't been a major change but I can see a difference in the effort he makes when it comes to school. The programs you've come up with... They are definitely doing what they're supposed to do."

"Well, don't just thank me Mrs, Payne. Andrea has been awesome too."

"You're right. She has. But Liam especially likes you. You should have seen him asking me if I could invite you over. It reminded me of him when he was eight years old and there was this one time when he wouldn't stop asking for a stuffed lion he wanted." she smiled.