eight

Zayn and Harry walked along the shoreline after they'd finished eating their ice cream cones. Zayn had decided they try something different instead of getting the normal Vanilla and Mint Chocolate Chip. She had suggested they try a peach ice cream that had little pieces of peaches in it, telling him it probably tasted as good as it looked. Harry gave in and surprisingly, she wasn't wrong. It was delicious and it really was good to have something different for a change.

Harry's shoes and socks were off as well as Zayn's sandals. So sand from the beach was getting all between their toes. Neither minded it though. In fact, Zayn loved walking side by side with him, shoes in hand. She soaked in the moment as much as she could.

"Want to go closer to the water?" Harry suddenly offered.

"Why? So the water can sweep me away and drown me? No thank you."

"Come on, the waves are barely crashing Zayn. Plus, its not like I want to swim or anything. I just want to sit there and get wet together."

Her heart fluttered at the word together. They had done a lot of things together. But for some reason when it encompassed the night stars and the beach, it meant a little more. "Are we even allowed near the water at night?"

"We are, if we go hide where the giant rocks are."

"The giant rocks? All the way over there?" She pointed. "Are you kidding me?"

"No, I'm not. Let's go." Harry slipped his hand in hers and began running, kicking up sand as he went. Even though she knew they were breaking the rules, she still allowed herself to be dragged until they were safely behind the rocks and out of sight.

"You're making me do bad things. You're bad influence." She teased and she felt the water rush over her ankles.

"I know. You think anybody saw us running over here?" Harry asked.

"No. You?"

"Nope. Which means we truly are alone."

Her smile lit up as they sat their shoes on top of one of the rocks where the water couldn't sweep them away. "Good."

He grabbed her hand again and gave it a squeeze. "It'll be even better when we go stand out in the water."

"Harry." She groaned and she snatched hers away.

"What? We're getting wet, remember? That's our whole purpose for coming over here."

"There's enough water at our feet. Why would I want to go out there?"

Harry could see how scared she was getting. "Its okay Zayn. I've got you. I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

"How do I know that?"

"Have I ever?"

Zayn paused, trying to think about all the times when Harry kept her from drowning. Even before she was a female, whenever they went near water, Harry watched Zayn and kept him above water. He always felt safe around him. "Uhm, no..." She said, maybe with a hint of skepticism.

"Okay then. Certainly I can keep you safe now." Harry answered.

She looked down where the water was already rushing against their ankles and she pictured this shoulder deep. It was scary thinking of the water and its entirety, and she found herself pondering over how one person could not possibly drink all of it in one setting if there was ever a need.

She let herself be pulled and she felt herself being led out one step at a time. As the water began to rise higher and higher, she secretly wished to be on the dry part of the sand.